DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 20 years ago I reworked the junction of the original aluminum UF cable to include a rain proof cover and a GFCI. I protected the aluminum UF with a pvc conduit about 12-16" into the ground. Recently lost power to outdoor pole lamp. My non-contact current sensor indicated that there was a break of the cable within the conduit. I removed the conduit. I get a current alert about 8" into the ground but nothing for the next 7-8" where cable disappears into ground. There is no physical damage to the outside of the cable. I used the sensor while twisting, pushing and pulling on the cable in the area where I lose the signal. Nothing. No signal. I don't want to cut into this cable if there is any other explanation why my sensor is indicating a break . Any ideas?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get an ohms reading on the neutral wire but non on the hot wire. I will dig where the NCVT loses the signal. If it is not there, I'll rent a ditcher and lay another cable.

The post lamp was added years before I bought the home. I have no idea how deep the cable is. I added the 12"-16" conduit to protect the UF cable where it is exposed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.