DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 20 years ago I reworked the junction of the original aluminum UF cable to include a rain proof cover and a GFCI. I protected the aluminum UF with a pvc conduit about 12-16" into the ground. Recently lost power to outdoor pole lamp. My non-contact current sensor indicated that there was a break of the cable within the conduit. I removed the conduit. I get a current alert about 8" into the ground but nothing for the next 7-8" where cable disappears into ground. There is no physical damage to the outside of the cable. I used the sensor while twisting, pushing and pulling on the cable in the area where I lose the signal. Nothing. No signal. I don't want to cut into this cable if there is any other explanation why my sensor is indicating a break . Any ideas?

·
Naildriver
12,385 Posts
I reworked the junction
What did this entail? Did you junction the wires in a separate box? If your UF cable is only 16" in the ground, it will need to be replaced to 24" anyway to meet code. You can change it out to copper conductors in the panel easier and with proper NoAlOx connections than you can run and deal with the aluminum. What size is the wiring?

Be careful pulling and pushing on energized, questionable wiring as you may have a break and it could contact a grounded conductor and cause an early 4th of July fireworks display.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
My non-contact current sensor indicated that there was a break of the cable within the conduit.
Try reading the label. That should say non-contact VOLTAGE tester.

A NCVT doesn't indicate a break, you are inferring that from loss of alarm.

Put the NCVT back in the drawer. Disconnect that cable at both ends, then use a multimeter to run some continuity tests.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get an ohms reading on the neutral wire but non on the hot wire. I will dig where the NCVT loses the signal. If it is not there, I'll rent a ditcher and lay another cable.

The post lamp was added years before I bought the home. I have no idea how deep the cable is. I added the 12"-16" conduit to protect the UF cable where it is exposed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts