DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill get some photos.

My grass is very thin and patchy in my front and back yard. The back yard has lots of shade.. where there is almost no or is no grass growing at all. I know I should overseed in the fall but what can I do now to improve the look of my lawn? I have about 3/4 acre of grass or so (or where there SHOULD be grass).

Lawn is kinda lumpy too, so I was thinking of renting a roller and a core aerator to tow behind the mower? Thatch build up seems minimal.

Evan

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
I'm betting that would look terrible in Michigan as well. I think I would fix it rather than trying to figure out where it might look good.:whistling2:

you need to determine how poor your soil is and add what it needs. Is it very compact and hard? Sandy? Dark, light?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some googling, and it appears I can go to the local county extension and get my soil tested. Ill do that right away. It isn't very sandy, it does appear to be pretty "dark" however I am red/green colorblind so its possible that it is bright orange too LOL.

Ill update this after I get a soil test done.

Your right, this lawn would look crappy in MI as well LOL.

·
Don't know it all, yet!
910 Posts
The back yard has lots of shade..
Grass and shade are like oil and water. You might consider mulching in some islands with some shade perennials or using a shade tolerant ground cover.

I understand that you asked about grass, but it would be negligent not to point out the shade issue.

BTW- good information.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Shade tolerant ground cover may be my best bet and I had considered that. I figured if there was something actually wrong with the soil or something of that nature then I should get that fixed before I consider planting anything else.

EDIT; I need photos, it appears that I have new grass beginning to grow. It is very light green.

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts