DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to building

This looks great! :thumbup:
I am looking to build a much smaller shed, 6' x 7', but the same design. I need help with determining the height of the structure. I have limited space to place the shed but need the extra storage. Any suggestions?:confused1:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You sure you never framed before? lol. For someone that doesn't do it at a profession I'm surprised you did the gambrel style roof. Very nice

I've done some minor indoors renovations, but his was my first job involving any kind of framing.

The gambrel roof was a hard decision to make, but I had to do it for the storage.

I bought a book at Home Depot about framing, and I took about 10 trips to Home Depot to look at their sheds for ideas. It took me quite a few weeks to get a final plan and get started.

Then, of course, I didn't follow it and it came out different. Big surprise, huh?

Actually, I am an Computer Engineer/Programmer by profession.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wise decision. Looks like a great project there. You should feel good about doing it yourself:thumbup:

In about a year it will be all filled up and you'll wonder why you didn't build a bigger one:yes:

Don't ask me how I know:whistling2:

I wish it would have lasted a year before it filled up. Mine was full in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This looks great! :thumbup:
I am looking to build a much smaller shed, 6' x 7', but the same design. I need help with determining the height of the structure. I have limited space to place the shed but need the extra storage. Any suggestions?:confused1:
It took me lots of Trigonometry to figure that out.

The first decision I made was to make my walls 7' instead of 8'. I had to cut all of my studs down to make my wall exactly 7' at the top of the top plate. 7' was high enough for me. I ended up being glad i did it because with the 8" joists as the floor to my loft, my 8' ladder is the perfect height for access.

Some sheds at Home Depot when I was looking were only using 6' walls, but I thought that was too short, and it didn't cost me any extra to do the 7'. I just had 1' less waste on everything.

If your shed is only 6' or 7' wide, your roof is still going to be pretty short, I'm guessing about 3.25' off the top plate(if using the same calcs as mine). That's plenty for storing a few boxes, but I was basically building a replacement for my attic in my house.

For something that small, I would probably go with a 6' wall. A 7' or 8' wall plus 3'-5' of roof seems like it would be pretty tall for a 6'x7' base. Bu I'm no architect, so don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I have looked around and notice there are so many variations for a roof. I am not sure if it really matters as long as it keeps the rain and snow from piling up .... am I correct? I like the idea of having a little space in the roof area to store boxes and other small items. I could probably use that for seasonal items.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts