DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the alarm connector has only a black, white, and red (traveler) wire. the thing is not grounded. i wonder what i need to do with the dangling ground wire in the last unit in the series (i have 4 units on a dedicated circuit).

thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,238 Posts
Just splice the grounds thru to any other grounds and tuck in the back of the box. Smoke alarms do not need to be grounded.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but what do i do in the case of the terminal box in the circuit? do i just leave it dangling loose or should i pigtail it around a hole in the receptacle or something?

·
Super Moderator
14,238 Posts
Tuck it in the back of the box.

Reactions: amakarevic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding what to do with the ground wire in the last box of a run of smoke detectors, Jim Port said, "Just splice the grounds thru to any other grounds and tuck in the back of the box. Smoke alarms do not need to be grounded." What do you do if there is no way to run a pig tail from the ground wire in the box for the smoke detector to a ground wire in another fixture or circuit? Is it ok to just leave it unconnected in the last box? I am using plastic boxes.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
If there is one ground wire just leave it tucked away.
If there is more than one, splice them, then leave them tucked away.

Reactions: NJMarine and tr463

·
Electrician
1,400 Posts
Are you sure you want them on a dedicated circuit. What happens if something happens and the breaker trips you will never know. I know with the CEC you have to put them on with a circuit that has lights. Not sure what the NEC says.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure you want them on a dedicated circuit. What happens if something happens and the breaker trips you will never know. I know with the CEC you have to put them on with a circuit that has lights. Not sure what the NEC says.
i sure would like to put them on a shared circuit to free a slot in the panel up but i think the code says here that it ought to be dedicated. i'll check.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
smoke detectors...

if the circuit only feeds the smoke detectors....just push grounding wires up in box...and leave alone...where i live...the smoke dectectors have to be on its own circuit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts