DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
These houses are $600k to over a mil? Crazy. But, land cost may explain why driveways don't take up much space.
Dirt-dawg cheap compared with Laguna Beach, Beverly Hills or Malibu. :vs_cool: One of my palm friends in Sam Frank's Disco has a driveway that's about six feet long.

I have a long driveway, because my garage is a long ways in the back. Thinking about that, might be a cool idea to consider relocating the garage. :glasses:

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
But, then you'll have to carry things & walk a long way in all that rain.:wink2:
He can afford to hire slaves. His funky house is worth about 4 times what mine is. :devil3:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When you are deciding on quotes, ask for copies of their contractor license and liability insurance. A reputable contractor will provide those no questions asked. But a nefarious contractor will balk at the idea. That may help narrow the field. I used to inspect asphalt plants and the last bit of asphalt from a production run may be running short of oil and aggregate making it brittle after it goes down. Find out where the asphalt is manufactured, and I hope it will be a fresh batch. Regarding your pictures, make sure there are no trees planted beside your drive as surface roots will undermine your driveway whether concrete or asphalt is used. Depending on your budget, a gravel base may be better for longevity. Where I live gravel has to be brought in by rail which raises its cost. Large area road pavers (state & federal highways) will mix cement with the top surface of the soil and make "Soil Cement" and roll that before putting down a special paper composite layer and then the asphalt. Good idea to find out what the process is.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
highlander may be thinking of the 'travelers' from no augusta, sc :surprise: they usually roll out milling mix w/kerosene but that's not likely in your 20
certain soils need to be strengthened such as i-20 just w of augusta,,, farther w in thomson, GaDOT determined soil was ok but still believe it was budgets that prompted findings,,, however we never used petromat which is a interlayer usually found in asphalt repaving,,, paper layer - never heard of that

41 - 47 of 47 Posts