DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My asphalt driveway is about 100 feet long by about 10 feet wide and I’m considering ways to make and keep it reasonably presentable.

Most of it’s asphalt with a concrete apron in back.

Any thoughts on approaches, materials etc?

Attachments

·
retired painter
10,993 Posts
Looks like it needs to be resurfaced. Once new asphalt is put down and aged some, sealing it every 3-5 yrs goes a long ways toward keeping it in good shape.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it needs to be resurfaced. Once new asphalt is put down and aged some, sealing it every 3-5 yrs goes a long ways toward keeping it in good shape.
I was thinking pretty much the same thing, except I'd like to integrate that concrete apron in the back.

I've never done an asphalt driveway so any thoughts, opinions, discourses, advice, etc., from you (and others!) would be appreciated. I'm assuming that it will be best to do the whole thing as much as possible, at one time.

Thanks! :vs_cool:

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just asphalt pave right up to the edge of the concrete?
Yeah, or maybe replace the asphalt with concrete.

I suspect there's pros and cons about both. Asphalt used to be relatively cheap, then, since it's petroleum based, it got more expensive along with the gas in our cars and trucks.

Concrete might be a better deal. I paid for a concrete driveway back in the old Ohio hometown back in the 1980s and it's still good. No need to [expletive] around with maintenance.

So, this will be an exploration! A voyage of discovery! Where I've never gone before (maybe have Capt. Picard appear in the background . . . . )

Keep the thoughts coming! :vs_cool:

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
You have to be real care full with asphalt contractors. And do your own math.

How many tons or yards will they use, how thick will that be when they put it down and how thick will it be after they roll it. How many tons or yards do the trucks carry.
And you need to see the sheets that the driver has that shows his empty and full weights.

When you get all those questions answered and let it be known that you will be checking, the price will compare to concrete.
The cheaters do it thin and cheap until they put the good guys out of business. We never see anything but concrete now here because no one trusts the asphalt companies.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Concrete might be a better deal.
I expect the initial outlay on the concrete will be significantly more, but I would go with the concrete any day. Might depend too on your neighborhood, if you don't want to stick out. Town I am in now, they are all concrete. In the town a couple of hours up the highway, where I used to live, everybody was asphalt.

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
So when you look out the back door, you just keep your eyes above this??

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A new drive and that saw horse ain't gonna go together too well. It'll be time for a new horse.
Sometimes, you-all just bring out the DEVIL in me . . . . :vs_cool:

Oh, heck, make it really official . . . . :devil3:

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So when you look out the back door, you just keep your eyes above this??
Yeah, but it's getting to be a real problem rolling stuff down there, since the pavement is so rough things hop off dollies, etc.

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
Ortho docs get expensive, when heavily laden dollies tip over . . . . . :vs_mad:
In the 70s I bought a new house in a new subdivision and wanted a driveway to the back yard. I found a friend of a friend that said he would do it for $.33 per square foot. I am not sure what his plan was because I never asked any questions, he did say that would be a full load for a 14 yd truck.
My driveway was 99'x10'. The day they should up, they removed about 4 inches of fill for the whole way and then put down a full truck load of gravel and compacted it . Then he says it was my lucky day, their other job has been cancelled so he had 2 truck loads to put down.

All was good they put it down with a road spreading machine, I couldn't have been happier. What was really funny was that the same day the builder next dooor had 3 driveways done to his 3 houses. That company brought out one single axle truck, they shovelled the product off and did all three driveways with that one load.

Later the builder next door said we should have got together, he could have got me the great price of $.36 a SF

·
retired painter
10,993 Posts
Asphalt versus concrete prices can vary a lot depending on location. When I painted new construction in fla all you saw were concrete driveways. They said it cost too much to build up the road bed so asphalt could be used. Plus the sun is too hot for anyone to want to set foot on asphalt. Gravel prices are higher in fla than anywhere I've lived.

Here in east tenn asphalt driveways are the norm. Besides being cheaper than concrete the black helps the driveway to melt quicker when it does snow.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Asphalt versus concrete prices can vary a lot depending on location. When I painted new construction in fla all you saw were concrete driveways. They said it cost too much to build up the road bed so asphalt could be used. Plus the sun is too hot for anyone to want to set foot on asphalt. Gravel prices are higher in fla than anywhere I've lived.

Here in east tenn asphalt driveways are the norm. Besides being cheaper than concrete the black helps the driveway to melt quicker when it does snow.
That's interesting.

Wow, cool!

This is turning into a nice public service information exchange. :vs_cool:

Plus a few witticisms and laughs thrown in. And, no one kneeing another in their [bleep censored]! :vs_cool:

My favorite kind of thread!

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
IMO concrete is better, but it all depends how much money you have NOW. Assuming equal quality installations, asphalt will deteriorate on the surface faster, and settlement causes divots that deteriorate faster. Concrete, when it settles does crack, but unless the void below is massive, the surface generally doesn't deteriorate.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
You're in ca so freezing is not a problem. But you don't want to, I would think, cover all of the backyard with concrete since you want to maintain some ground for water to drain and soak into. Or you may be creating water problems for yourself as well as the neighbors.

In nj and looking to do the same and what I've found is that temperatures are important. Asphalt temps can't go below 180F, I think, and the ground temps can't be under 40's. Ambient temps also so the asphalt doesn't go cold too quickly. Cold, proper compaction can't be done. General info seems to call for 3" compacted. Old asphalt is also scraped off, not dug out, so the old base is not disturbed. Best bet is to search for as much info that's applicable to your climate and be there when the work is done. Photos and videos as evidence and even a cheap lazer thermometer on hand. Nobody likes to be observed over their shoulder, but do it.

80x17 somewhat sloping up, straight driveway, old asphalt all cracked and missing some places, nj and about $4000, without the container cost. This is very good price, but worried it is in the cheap side. As a comp, I was quoted 2" skin-over the old asphalt for 14k. This is a highway robbery.:) I talked with the company and let them know I'm not blind and mean to check their work. I asked if they have a roller and discussed the temps. How thick can be measured by how deep they dig and how much the pile is before it is rolled. If they'll come back in spring (a landscaping company), is another question.:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts