DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi .... I have a strange situation & hopefully someone can help. Warm water is getting into my cold water pipes. If I run a tap on my second floor, cool water runs for a bit but then turns warm for bit & then the water turns cold?

I added a picture of my setup. The pipe marked 2 is the cold water pipe coming from my well & it feels cold to the touch. The pipe marked 1 is the cold water pipe that leads to the house & it feels warm. The pipe marked 3 leads to the top of the hot water tank & it also feels warm.

Any ideas on what is going on please? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imo, perfectly normal. wh probably doesn't have heat traps and some of the water sitting in the pipes for awhile will be warm till it runs for a bit. Just my opinion.
Just seems strange that it has never done this before & we have lived here for many years & have not had any plumbing work done in years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply Dan. I did run out of water recently while showering but thought it was maybe because another family member had recently had a shower. Having said that, I cannot remember running low on hot water before. Can a dip tube be repaired/replaced? Thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Also if your second floor pipes run next to heat ducts in a common chase water in the pipes can get warm.

Reactions: dommm

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Do you have any Moen single handle faucets or tub/shower faucets. They can fail and allow water to pass cross the faucet while it is off.

Reactions: NTL1991 and dommm

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I have a strange situation & hopefully someone can help. Warm water is getting into my cold water pipes
This can be an indication of a failed faucet cartridge.........:wink2:

Please itemize all the components of your domestic water system. This will help with the 'guessing'

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This can be an indication of a failed faucet cartridge.........:wink2:

Please itemize all the components of your domestic water system. This will help with the 'guessing'
I made a big mistake with the explanation in my original post. The pipe highlighted as #1 is the pipe leading from my well, the pipe highlighted as #2 feeds the house with cold water but the pipe feels warm. The pipe highlighted #3 enters the top of my water heater tank.

The pipe numbered 2 should feel cold but it feels warm along with pipe #3 that I think should also feel cold. I don't think this issue has anything to do with any faucets does it? Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To everyone trying to help me I apologize because I made a big mistake with the explanation in my original post. The pipe highlighted as #1 is the pipe leading from my well, the pipe highlighted as #2 feeds the house with cold water but the pipe feels warm. The pipe highlighted #3 enters the top of my water heater tank.

The pipe numbered 2 should feel cold but it feels warm along with pipe #3 that I think should also feel cold.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Here are a couple of thoughts:

Do you have a water heater expansion tank? If so, that probably failed. You can try pumping it back up, or checking the air charge, but they are cheap so I would just exchange it.

The other thought I had was that if you had use a heat trap nipple/ dielectric nipple or union, then the little balls that prevent the heat from migrating the wrong way have failed.

Either one will cause the hot water to flow back into the cold water line.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.