DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
No, it "probably", will not be an immediate problem.
It can indicate, the battery is losing it's ability to hold a charge.
If the problem is the battery - there may come a time -
the computer will not "boot". :(

rossfingal

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you multi-booting with another operating system.?
Just thought I would mention this since I ran into an issue a while back where linux (ubuntu) was changing the system clock whenever I booted into it, so when I booted back into windows it was wrong (I think by 1 hour). That one was tricky to figure out. Had to change something in ubuntu to fix it (I don't recall the specific setting, but it wasn't too hard to find once I new what was happening).

Otherwise, the mobo battery could be the cause, though I was under the impression that modern mobos didn't completely power down even when shut down.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Modern "mobos" don't completely "shut down" -
they have a battery.
The battery keeps the "BIOS/CMOS" info intact - so the computer can "Boot" - without the need for some type of boot disc.
(that's a "rough" explanation)

Yeah - I've got Multi-boot computers -
seen the same thing with the clock.
It can change.

"RF"

Something else to consider -
If you do open up the computer case - to change or touch anything -
Unplug the computer - hold the "power-on" button down for 30 seconds -
Ground yourself to the case on the power-supply
(Or use a "anti-static" strap!)
Static electricity, can destroy sensitive computer components!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
How wrong is the clock? Is it always off by the same amount? Off by exactly n hours? Or is it just random minutes?

If you don't cut power to your computer completely (yank it out of the wall), then the motherboard battery doesn't matter - it's only there for the moments when the machine fully loses power.

Click on the time in the lower right corner of the screen, you should see a calendar pop up. Choose "change time and date settings". Is your time zone correct? Now click on the"Internet Time" tab - is your machine set to synchronize with time.windows.com?

If those are correct, then there's another reason, obviously. COULD be some malware changing your clock, but not very likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts