DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I got all the expensive tool. I need to know ALL the small stuff now. Mastic, tape, etc

Thank yall
JJ

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Mastic and tape are supplies.

Tubing cutters, service valve wrench w/ allen heads attachments, good pair of lineman pliers (Klein Journeyman, $40) , good set of screwdrivers including small stat screwdrivers, wire strippers, duct knife, torpedo level, schraeder core tool, meter, gauges but I don't know what you consider expensive. Until you've bought yourself a $700-$800 recovery machine, I have two, you haven't touched on expensive.

Why don't you list what you have and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mastic and tape are supplies.

Tubing cutters, service valve wrench w/ allen heads attachments, good pair of lineman pliers (Klein Journeyman, $40) , good set of screwdrivers including small stat screwdrivers, wire strippers, duct knife, torpedo level, schraeder core tool, meter, gauges but I don't know what you consider expensive. Until you've bought yourself a $700-$800 recovery machine, I have two, you haven't touched on expensive.

Why don't you list what you have and we'll go from there.
My bad, I need a list of supplies.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fuses, wire connectors, wire, PVC glue, lock tight, hoses, copper fittings, extension cords, drop lights, 1/4" and 5/16 zap screws, wd40.

That's all I can think of now. Stuff like that isn't something you just go out and buy at one time, you just start to collect things as years go by. Good luck.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
2) 50 ft x 5/8 garden hose and pistol grip sprayer for washing cond coils
roll of silver foil duct tape
container of #8 x 3/4 self tapping sheet metal screws
pieces of sheet metal/tin to patch hole in bonnet of furnace when you have to cut them to inspect underside of evap coil. go to local sheet metal shop and buy up some scrap pieces and have them cut a few dozen 12x12 inch pieces
#29, 31, 33, 35 marrette wire connectors
small roll of #14 and #12 and #10 stranded electrical wire
assortment of plastic wall plugs/anchors for mounting tstats on plaster and drywall walls and 1/8 and 3/16 masonry bits to drill into plaster walls so you don't damage them
scrubs in a bucket handcleaner towels/moistened so you don't get smutz/dirt on the wall when you go to change the tstat
10 lb bag of wiper rags (Goodwill industries)
5 gallon shop vac with leaf blower feature (useful for blowing out cond coils)
painters drop cloths so you don't damage hardwood floors or get carpet dirty when working in expensive homes
clothespin to put on your nose when in basement with multiple uncleaned cat litter boxes
powerful led maglite flashlite
Testo videocamera/scope to check the underside of evap coils for dirt and 3/4' step drill bit to make hole in bonnet
thumbgum sealant for around refrig lines in bonnets to stop air leaks
white and clear silicone and gun
5/8 and 3/4 x 8 feet pieces of armaflex insulation to patch damaged lines
virginia prestite rubber insulation tape to wrap around sweating tx valves and uninsulated fittings at bonnet
teflon tape
crowbar to lift up unlevel condensors and use armaflex to level them or s clip sheet metal clips
scissors to cut armaflex
spare hose washers
bandages for when you cut yourself and a good first aid kit with burn ointment and wet wipes
mechanix gloves and leather work gloves
safety glasses
100 feet of #14 grade extension cord or #12 is better. voltage drop occurs over 50 feet and that can harm your recovery machine and vacuum pump
mozquito spray
chewing gum

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I need any special supplies when I do welding in the attic?

·
Administrator
41,875 Posts
Water and a Fire Extinguisher.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
pieces of sheet metal to protect any flammable surfaces and I am not sure where you buy it but Beenthere knows what I am talking about, it is called fake asbestos sheet gasket material that we use for burner gaskets. Looks like asbestos gasket material 3/16" thick and comes in a flat roll. Heating suppliers that sell oil burner parts should have it as well as better dealers that supply commercial guys. Incredibly good and better than sheetmetal as it won't burn and is easy to stuff between a pipe you are welding and wood.

·
Administrator
41,875 Posts
As Yuri said, sheet metal to prevent the flame from going toward anything that might catch fire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually home depot has a flame resistant 12 by 12 inch fabric that works great. Its black. Great when you have a fitting close to a wall.

Never seize and pipe dope are 2 musts.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually home depot has a flame resistant 12 by 12 inch fabric that works great. Its black. Great when you have a fitting close to a wall.

Never seize and pipe dope are 2 musts.
Thanks. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts