DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Murray push mower bagger with a B&S engine that is leaking gas out of what looks like an uncapped gas drain. The engine is a YBSXS.1901 VC Family. I can find no pictures with this little green "valve" for lack of a better word. Gas just dribbles out and this thing looks like it used to have a cap that I can't find.
I can't find this thing on any schematic or picture but it's on my mower for sure.
Does anyone know what this is and how I can cap it so it no longer leaks?
Thanks

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On closer inspection, that's not a valve it's a fuel line clamp! I haven't inspected the entire fuel line but I'm going to assume that the fuel line needs to be replaced. Safe assumption? (I will inspect everything when our snow melts and it gets a little warmer).
Is it easy to replace?

Attachments

· Usually Confused
10,906 Posts
Replacing the fuel line might be in order - it's hard to tell but it looks like cracking to the right of the clamp. Ethanol in fuels can be hard on neoprene bits. If it were me, I would also replace that clamp with a gear-type. I know that type are quite common; just a personal preference.

· Registered
16,444 Posts
To get the hose off for replacement just cut the line beyond the nipple that's inserted into it, squeeze the clamp with pliers to remove then split the hose without scoring the plastic nipple and peel the stub off. Take a length of the old hose to most any auto supply to buy the correct diameter and length. May be 1/4" id or 5/16" inside diameter.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the fuel line an I found multiple cracks. Ordered a new fuel line, clamps and air filter.
Question: I read that these MXRI fuel lines don't last more than 2 years but this mower is 25 years old and the line has never been replaced. Anyone have thoughts on this or a better replacement?

Attachments

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Maybe someone else has actually compared different lines, but I don't think it matters which one you use. I don't know, don't track things like that closely, but doubt that I've ever had one go much over 5 years, definitely not more than 10, because I do my own maintenance so just something I periodically replace while working on something else in the vicinity. It's too easy to do to let it become a problem. At 25 years it's hard to say when it should have been replaced, but it was definitely before this year.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dexte11 1 inherited several mowers from my Dad and I don't now if or how they were maintained. 2 still run fine but they haven't been used in I don't know how long, thus the dry rot. I'm going to do a complete tune-up on those 2, spark plug, oil, air filter, fuel line, blade. Anything else I should change?

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. And I wasn't being critical of still having the same fuel line by the way, because it's not unusual, but it's the type of thing that doesn't just pop into your mind until, as you found, it leaks. And now isn't a bad time to stumble into it, much better than say mid June when the grass is growing like crazy, so just one of those things that you want to try to stay ahead of.

· Registered
16,444 Posts
Since spark plugs on mowers seldom wear out there's probably more money wasted on those than any other item on a mower. The last i replaced they were screwed up with starting fluid but far from being worn out. All it took on those was a 1/2 squirt. How in he!! does a person do a half squirt or a 1/4th squirt from a aerosol can. That's an old secret i'm taken to my grave with me.:vs_laugh:

Plug replacement reminds me of the days of points and condensers on on the old car. I can safely say i never saw a condenser fail, but they always sold us points and condenser as a package and the condenser went in the trash because they weren't a matched set anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.