DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wired a setup like the one you see in the picture.
Where you see the yellow 'X' is where I want to splice in another light fixture.
Can someone tell me how I should wire in the new fixture?
I started to over think it and then just decided to get a consult here.
Should I wire like the switch is wired or like the fixture?
Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
11,194 Posts
The big questions are what type of access do you have, and how much slack do you have available ?

You would need about a foot of slack to install a box there. Without it, you would need to install the new fixture box plus a junction box so that you splice in an additional length of XX/3 cable.

Depending on the distance and access, it might be simpler to use a new xx/2 cable from the existing fixture to the new light location, rather than cutting the existing cable.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 3 wire running between the switch and the current light (as in diagram). Can I splice into the 3 wire for adding a new light?
And still maintain switching on 2 lights and constant hot on receptacle?

· A "Handy Husband"
15,057 Posts
I have 3 wire running between the switch and the current light (as in diagram). Can I splice into the 3 wire for adding a new light?
And still maintain switching on 2 lights and constant hot on receptacle?
You can if you have the slack in the 3 wire cable (doubtful). Just connect to the red and white.

· Super Moderator
24,959 Posts
You can. Your new light will tie into the red and white.
The problem is you need at least 6 inches cable coming into the box. So unless you stretch 12 inches (6 from each direction) your going to need two accessible boxes with a piece of cable added between them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.