DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am trying to wire 4 recessed lights (Halo 4" H99T - with snap-in connectors) to two 3-way switches.

My current scenario:
Power is 14/2 coming to a single light at bottom of stairs which is currently wired to a single 2-way switch at top of stairs.

New scenario:
I want a 3-way switch at the top of the stairs, and a 3-way switch at the bottom of the stairs.
These switches will control four recessed lights dispersed around the landing.

I have found this diagram (See option #5) which shows a similar situation.
http://www.easy-do-it-yourself-home-improvements.com/3-way-switch-wiring-diagram.html

My question:
Can I just simply "daisy-chain" the other three lights off the first one shown in diagram (option #5), or do I need to run 14/3 between each light in the series (as shown in option #6)?

Thank you,

YB

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You would do option 6 if the power source is to go through all the lights first, before it goes to the switches. Personally, I would do option 5. 14/2 from the first light to the second, and so on.

·
Super Moderator
21,123 Posts
I disagree. You should use option #5 and then connect the additional lights in parallel with the the existing light.
What you will need to do is add a three wire cable from the existing switch tot he new switch and then add cables to the new fixtures beginning at at the old fixture.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
I disagree.
What do you disagree with?
You should use option #5 and then connect the additional lights in parallel with the the existing light.
That’s what I implied.
What you will need to do is add a three wire cable from the existing switch tot he new switch and then add cables to the new fixtures beginning at at the old fixture.
That’s what option #5 is showing. I would hope the OP would understand what he has versus what it needs to have in order to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys:

I am attaching a picture that illustrates what I want to do.
It sounds like you both agree that this is the way to go.

If not, please let me know.

Thanks again,

YB

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts