DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, sorry i'm new here, i have a question i'm trying, and not succeeding, to wire 3 light on 1 switch.
the power comes from a receptacle, goes to light1, from there it splits and goes to light2, light3 and switch.
what i did is connect the HOT coming from the receptacle to the WHITE going to the switch.
the WHITE coming from the recept. is connected to all the WHITES.
and the remaining BLACK wires are all connected together.
what am i doing wrong?
please help, thanks!

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
hello, sorry i'm new here, i have a question i'm trying, and not succeeding, to wire 3 light on 1 switch.
the power comes from a receptacle, goes to light1, from there it splits and goes to light2, light3 and switch.
what i did is connect the HOT coming from the receptacle to the WHITE going to the switch.
the WHITE coming from the recept. is connected to all the WHITES.
and the remaining BLACK wires are all connected together.
what am i doing wrong?
please help, thanks!
How are the lights actually wired? does the switch go to light1 as well? if not, then you need xx-3 conductor between the lights.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
one drawing does not have 3 lites but you should get the idea.

Grounds not shown for ease of drawing

Attachments

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
From your diagram, it appears that you are tying the white wire and the bare wire together? If so, you need to separate the white (neutral) and the bare/green (ground).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From your diagram, it appears that you are tying the white wire and the bare wire together? If so, you need to separate the white (neutral) and the bare/green (ground).
in my diagram there's no ground, i left it out. there's WHITE AND BLACK.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
in my diagram there's no ground, i left it out. there's WHITE AND BLACK.
It appeared you had 3 wires, now I see what you did. Your drawing looks correct.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
then the lights hate me! the one on the right never shouts off and the one at the bottom it flickers...:cry:
Check you splices/connections again. The lights will work properly by the switch as you have drawn it.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
The most common cuprit will be useally wirenut splices., double check them to make sure they are tight and on in correct way.

Also double check at the luminaire location as well to make sure they are on good as well.

The diagram you post is correct but watch the room on one of the junction box ( this will depending on which type of junction box you used.)

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If power is going to the upper plug on the receptacle, Could the tab be broken on the receptacle so that the lower plug has no power?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
If power is going to the upper plug on the receptacle, Could the tab be broken on the receptacle so that the lower plug has no power?
None of the lights would at all then.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Does the light on the right that does not shut off stay the same brightness, or does it dim down when you flip the switch off?

Is the switch handle supposed to light up when flipped off? This causes a small current to go through the (other) lights, possibly causing flickering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts