DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got one Satellite Dish, with a single LNB...I also have three bedrooms that I'm renovating and would like to install TV outlets in each. Ultimately I'd like seperate Satellite Receiver's in each room. Can I do this with only one dish, if so, How?? I'd imagine I'd have to split the cable three ways?

This seems to be a simple question but its got me puzzled. Thanks for the help!

Bryan

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can't speak about satellites but from experience with cable service I would suggest you home run all cables to a common area that you can have connections (attic, utility closet) or place a entertainment junction panel. There you can determine how you best manage those rooms. From my narrow understanding of satellites-- I thought they needed an LNB per single output connection?? That might be why I see homes in my area with multiple dishes and also dual LNB's per dish.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with satellite Tv, but I agree with Handyman78 about Home running each cable to a common tie point. You'll have lower losses that way, plus the convenience of single point access.

I do believe there are sat dishes that allow multiple receivers, but not sure you can upgrade a single to a multiple.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You would need a special LNB or two LNB's, a multiswitch, and a receiver for each TV. Ask your satellite TV provider.

Below (link) is a frequency list of a Dish satellite. Notice each listing says "R" or "L". This is "polarity". The receiver sends a voltage to the LNB telling it to use R or L. If one TV is set to R, the other TV could not switch to a channel which uses a L. This would conflict.

A Dish Satellite frequency list...
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish61.html

With a special LNB or two LNB's, one could be set to R and the other to L. The multiswitch would use the appropriate LNB for whichever channel you wanted.

One of many multi-switch diagrams...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Just my .02 worth, home run the system to a centralized location, as the others have said. Check with satellite providers. I need two RG-6 cables to watch one station and record another (DVR).

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
This is much much less important than just running normal, low-loss RG-6 from a reputable source.

I'd almost go as far as to call it a gimmick.
I should probably revise my answer...depending on your location (like a city, or near a radio broadcasting place) you may use quad or rg/6.

Really depends on the amount of emi or rfi in the environment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts