DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have project I'd like to complete myself or hire an electrician and be able to provide sufficient hardware.

I'd like to have a string of 25-40 watt bulbs (similar to a string of Christmas lights but its for a chandelier), with, a dimmer that would create a least to brightest sequence along the string. How do I do this?

·
Super Moderator
23,721 Posts
If you mean every bulb has a different brightness, then you need to bring the wires from each bulb out to a controller somewhere where it can be controlled. That means you need 26 wires coming out of the chandelier to a control box. That would be the 25 hots and a common neutral.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hi,
I have project I'd like to complete myself or hire an electrician and be able to provide sufficient hardware.

I'd like to have a string of 25-40 watt bulbs (similar to a string of Christmas lights but its for a chandelier), with, a dimmer that would create a least to brightest sequence along the string. How do I do this?
We need more info on what you are trying to achieve please ?
Do you want all lamps at different levels ?
Or maybe a 3 or 4 channel chase sequence type effect ?
elaborate please ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thanks for responding. Correct, I am trying to have each lamp at a different brightness level (unless my dimmer would be turned to the brightest setting which would have all the lamps glowing equally bright). Attached is a jpeg image. The four images describe what might happen as I control the dimmer. Best Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Each bulb will need to controlled by its own dimmer. To use standard electrical parts will be clumsy and depending on the number of bulbs a lot of wires crammed into a small pace. Also, if these are small low wattage lamps they may not draw enough current from the dimmer to operated properly. What you really need is a set of lights and a lighting controller to this. I do light design for some community theaters and we have some sophisticated electronic to what you are attempting, I searche on line and found something that might work for you. http://www1.lightorama.com/cosmic-color-bulbs/ These are LEDs on a single string. Using a computer you can address each lamp separately and adjust the brightness and color.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for responding. Correct, I am trying to have each lamp at a different brightness level (unless my dimmer would be turned to the brightest setting which would have all the lamps glowing equally bright). Attached is a jpeg image. The four images describe what might happen as I control the dimmer. Best Regards
A huge job ! Not very practical !
It is do-able , but the expense makes it un realistic.
No easy way to do this !

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You may find other solutions on instructables website. This isn't exactly what you're looking for I don't think but may point you to a different solution.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Chandelier-from-Jars/#share-buttons

I remember this from an email of projects they send out. Thought it might help.

This uses LEDs which may offer an easier solution. 25 40w bulbs is a lot of light. Requiring a lot of heavier wire and heavier components. As jimn01 already pointed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.