DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working on an old multi turn angle valve for a sink, so 1/2" to 3/8". It was always a little leaky, except when shut off, so I replaced the stem kit + the handle with these:

edit:

Also had to use a different nut, used this:

Looking at it compared to the other nut, it may be the wrong one- in which case, can anyone link to the correct one to use?

After a few unsuccessful attempts of completely leak free, I have it leak free while closed, but it still leaks while open - so is this still an installation error, or do I need to replace the whole valve at this point? Is there something else I can do with the valve replacement kit to get it to not leak when open?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
899 Posts
1. Brasscraft stems will not work on all brand valves.
2. I also have much better luck with the brass stems. Hard to find by themselfs. So buy the whole valve and use the stem and the cap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Brasscraft stems will not work on all brand valves.
2. I also have much better luck with the brass stems. Hard to find by themselfs. So buy the whole valve and use the stem and the cap.

Got it, thanks And it isn't a problem with the nut I used? I had to switch from the original that was on there.

So this way is just buying a new valve and taking it the stem out of there (and maybe the nut as well to try out a different one)?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Got it, thanks And it isn't a problem with the nut I used? I had to switch from the original that was on there.

So this way is just buying a new valve and taking it the stem out of there (and maybe the nut as well to try out a different one)?
Yes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts