DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I chose this wire diagram because I have excess 14/3 wire to use.
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option6.htm

Two questions based on diagram attached;

• Is the #2 light going to be wired the same as all 8 lights in my circuit? or is this only for the "end" light in circuit?
If only for the "end light" then I need help with diagram for lights #2-7?

• Towards the end of the attached circuit, can I branch another circuit (a porch light with an independent switch)
    If so which wires do I use?
Thank you for any help!

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
This diagram is for a light or group of lights that will be controlled by two switches. All additional lights will be wired like lamp #1. Notice that there is only two wires (not counting grounds) going from lamp 2 to the switch. Your 14-3 will be needed between the switches. There are several ways to wire a three way circuit depending on where the power source enters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thank you for reply, So 14/2 wire will be used between lights 1-7
& 14/3 wire will only be used between light 7 and 8?

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Bring the power to one ceiling box then a switch leg to the first three way switch. The other 7 ceiling boxes will be connected to box one with 14-2.
You can branch a separate circuit from box one to support the other lamp mentioned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bring the power to one ceiling box then a switch leg to the first three way switch. The other 7 ceiling boxes will be connected to box one with 14-2.
You can branch a separate circuit from box one to support the other lamp mentioned.
Thank you but I was hoping to stick to the diagram I linked with switches at the end.
Can you help me off that diagram?
my original questions were:

• Is the #2 light going to be wired the same as all 8 lights in my circuit? or is this only for the "end" light in circuit?
If only for the "end light" then I need help with diagram for lights #2-7?

• Towards the end of the circuit, can I branch another circuit (a porch light with an independent switch)
    If so which wires do I use for hot & neutral?
Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use the diagram as drawn and connect all additional switched lamps to a 14-2 leaving the first fixture - lamp 1.
Sorry I should have let you know....
I "already wired" as the diagram shows.. Let me start over and rephrase:

Hi
I had surplus 14/3 so I chose this wire diagram:

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option6.htm
Or copy paste
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option6.htm

I am using 8 lights in the circuit and I have already run the 14/3 wire between all of the lights, but have not hooked them up because I am confused on how to wire lights 2-8? the diagram only shows 2 lights!!

Is light #2 as shown in diagram going to be wired the same as all 8 lights in my circuit? or is this only for the "end" light in circuit?

If only for the "end light" then I need help with diagram for lights #1-7!
will I only use 2 wires for lights 1-7 and then 14/3 wire for light #8 only?

Second question: Towards the end of the attached circuit, can I branch another circuit at the last switch? (a porch light with an independent switch<switch comes 1st>)
If so which wires do I use? for hot & neutral?

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use the diagram as drawn and connect all additional switched lamps to a 14-2 leaving the first fixture - lamp 1.
Sorry, I am lost without drawing it on paper or looking at a diagram!!
So I am trying to find a way to "add on" to my diagram so it makes sense :)

So if I understand... I could essentially "re-label" my diagram and make the two lights pictured as 7&8 ?
And then lights 1-6 will just be standard 2 wire?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts