DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bathroom that I'm remodeling and will be finishing the drywall. There is an outlet that is within the tapered factory edges where two sheets meet. Do I just tape and mud over it like its not there then clean it out after its finished? Thanks for the help. I've attached a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks I figured it was something not too complicated. Does it matter that the wires are live in there? Well, ill cut power as I'm doing it but after need to turn it back on.

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
Just wire nut each wire.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
602 Posts
You need to check every screw and make sure they are slightly below the surface. Looks like these 2 are not.

And it looks like mud in all the joints ... but no joint tape?

FFC412B2-5F01-4C19-B3C4-A4D567498E70.jpeg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes they are all recessed, im gonna double check again before I start. I've been finishing up a shower first. Also I prefilled with durabond so I haven't taped yet. Some places needed it but others didn't, I just ended up prefilled everything. Prob not necessary. Thanks for the feedback btw. This is my first time ill be drywalling

·
Registered
602 Posts
Technically ... no, you would be modifying a UL rated item, it would then no longer be rated and thus not meet code. Physically ... you probably could, and an oscillating saw would be the tool. Make sure the sockets for the screws will still be deep enough. Use the large half moon blade, and try to avoid nicking the wires.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,198 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that myself. Could I trim a little off with an oscillating tool?
That'd work, but wouldn't be my choice. If it's only proud where the edge of
drywall narrows, I would: tape 1st as usual, fill the spaces on each side of the
box with upward strokes, feathering out to the wall on the right and ~6" on the
left. Do a couple coats to account for shrinkage and make sure dried mud is
flush or proud before doing 1st coat on horizontal seam (over tape).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts