DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to renovate my furnace room shortly which will include new drywall. I have some experience mudding, having done all my own in multiple other rooms. So far I've always used the regular blue lid premix mud for all my coats along with paper tape. This time I would like to have the mudding done as quick as possible and am wondering the best way to do this. So far I'm thinking about using a sandable 90 for my first two coats along with mesh tape and then the premixed bucket for my final coat. Would this be the quickest way?

Also, any tips on doing this while the furnace is in use?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I do lots of drywall on remodeling jobs.I use Durabond 90 on the first 2 coats and USG topping thinned some for the third.I never use mesh tape.Durabond also makes a 45 but I would not mess with it unless you are very quick.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mako1 said:
I do lots of drywall on remodeling jobs.I use Durabond 90 on the first 2 coats and USG topping thinned some for the third.I never use mesh tape.Durabond also makes a 45 but I would not mess with it unless you are very quick.
I'm definitely not that quick. I think I will stick to paper tape then. Have you ever done a furnace room while the furnace was in use? My concern of course is the amount of dust. I figure I'll shut the furnace down while I sand and clean up before turning it back on. Would this be sufficient enough? The furnace is about 5 years old. It's a Bryant 80 percent efficient gas furnace...

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
With the Durabond I don't sand.I srape it with a 10" joint knife.There is a certain way of doing it that is hard to explain.May be a video on you tubeYou hald the knife at a low angle and push into the joint to cut off any ridges or high spots then drag backwards with pressure to help level.If you careful with your application you should only have to lightly hand sand the top coat.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mako1 said:
With the Durabond I don't sand.I srape it with a 10" joint knife.There is a certain way of doing it that is hard to explain.May be a video on you tubeYou hald the knife at a low angle and push into the joint to cut off any ridges or high spots then drag backwards with pressure to help level.If you careful with your application you should only have to lightly hand sand the top coat.
I'm alright enough at mudding that I normally use this practice. Ill see how it goes! Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts