DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pro Answers
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find the weight rating for a Carlon 655A MUDbox nonmetallic printed inside. This is a MUD BOX. Please only answer if you are familiar with MudBox electrical junction box.
1. this is a ceiling box with a mud box ring to it.
2. want to hang a 75 lb ceiling fan. The box shows ratings for electrical box cu in regarding box inside but nothing about weight specs/max/.
3. My assumptions would be that a up to 75 lb fan would be suitable since most mudbox there is rebar running through it.
4. THe mudbox 655A does show

WHat have I done.
google searched it- only carlon website shows nothing on a 655A in technical specs or on website. There brochure of other mudboxs doesnt show the specs of weight of fans.

Any facts, links to facts, specs on this Carlon 655A mudbox.

Otherwise I will wait for Carlon's email response or give Carlon co. a call.

Carlons website: Carlon's Mud Boxes are the preferred choice for applications in concrete pours and decks. They are nonmetallic and noncorrosive which extends product life, eliminates rust & the need for replacement, & provides safe handling/installation. They are concrete tight and contain molded integral "Quick Connect" connectors to satisfy any jobsite application. The Snap-In Design means no taping is required. The mud box assemblies can be used for literally any device from fire alarms to data jacks.

·
Naildriver
10,641 Posts
Unless the box and ring are rated for fan use, the short answer is "no". The box ears cannot be used to attach a ceiling fan. How is the box attached to the ceiling? Is it embedded in concrete? Can you post a picture of the box so we can see what you see? Fan rated boxes use 10-24 screws to secure the yoke to the box.

Attachments

·
Pro Answers
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@ Chandalier 48
How is the box attached to the ceiling?
As stated this a mud box used on a condo highrise- they poured the deck mud or cement into rebar most likley to attach the box. There are no joists on the ceiling- steel and cement.

Is it embedded in concrete?
YES

Can you post a picture of the box so we can see what you see?
Attached picture.
Does state on the 655A mudbox (carlon blue plastic non metallic) that it has a fan rated ring installed. Just dont know the weight restrictions.

Attachments

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts

·
Pro Answers
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Clearly people are not reading the subject line MUDBOX's are very specific to the type of contruction you use them in : thus I put the definition of what MUDBOX is and used in the type of construction i.e. condo highrise (which once was a hotel)) ((you know who you are)).
MUDBOX.
I talked it out with Carlon which is tnb.com

Its equivalent 655A mudbox to a
FYI: A863CFG MUDBOX rated to 35 lbs with ceiling fans.

·
Naildriver
10,641 Posts
I am not as concerned with it being a "mudbox" as I am about whether or not it is ceiling fan rated. The box could be held so firmly in the concrete that you would never get it out, but if it isn't rated properly you shouldn't put a fan there. You'll have to admit, your picture lacks a lot. It only shows half the box, the box needs to be cleaned up a bit, and we can't see any inscriptions or the attachment points for the apparatus holding means. Give us good information and we'll give you good answers.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
2. want to hang a 75 lb ceiling fan.
Ceiling fans weighing more than 70 pounds may not be supported by any box. The required metal hardware to support the fan independently of the box may not be installed in a plastic box. So the 35 lb limitation is kind of a moot point.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I would suggest using concrete anchors on the perimeter of the box with some kind of home made bracket, or the one that came with the fan, if it extends past the box. You're not going to be able to make that box support a 75 pound fan - its not only the weight of the fan, but the vibration and swinging a fan makes that needs to be taken into consideration when installing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts