DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my future planning purposes, can anyone give me a run-down on what I will need to do with some of my existing circuits when I get to the point that I am moving them to my new 200 amp panel, which is located in a different room than the current 100 amp main panel.

Some background:
The 200A panel is going to be the main panel after my current project is done, the goal eventually is to move all circuits to the 200A panel. The 200A panel is currently serving the second floor and the kitchen, the 100A panel primarily is serving the first floor. No basement, house on crawlspace. The detatched garage is getting a 100A subpanel as part of the current project as well.

Most of the remaining circuits on the 100A panel are using 3-conductor cable, primarily 14-3 off of 15A circuits and 2 20A circuits using 12-3. Shared neutral between both circuits, then black going to one breaker and red to another. The 14-3 won't reach the new panel...

The new wiring will be done under permit and to 2008 NEC so these will need to be AFCI circuits (aside from the bathroom, which is more straightforward since it has GFCI... And I'll need to seperate the crawlspace outlets which need GFCI)

My question is if there's any way of using the 3-conductor cable, or if it's going to need to be replaced so I have neutral conductors for each circuit? And can I expect to find that these circuits probably have 12-2 or 14-2 for the individual branches?

I'm going to have to replace receptacles with TR receptacles too aren't I?

ETA: Just read a thread from 2008 that stated 2008 NEC will require double pole breakers for MWBC... Since AFCI is required and AFAIK there aren't AFCI double pole breakers, does this effectively mean MWBC's are out with 2008 NEC?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Siemens, GE, Cutler-Hammer and Square D all manufacture 2 pole AFCI's.
Oof... definitely not at HD, and I just checked with my go-to eletrical supply store also and they don't carry Cutler-Hammer. My panel is Homeline so I the QO breakers won't fit. CH fits Homeline if I can find them, is that correct?

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
I believe I mis-read the catalog for SQ D. They apparently do not make a Homeline 2 pole AFCI. I think the CH BR series breakers will work in a Homeline.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
With your inspector problems, the last thing I would do is put a cutler hammer breaker inside a homeline box.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I'll just approach this as a matter that it would be preferred to run new 2-conductor cable to eliminate the MWBC where possible, but if it for some reason seems to be problematic I'll consider a smaller sub-panel (might only need 60A lug or something like that) from a brand where double pole AFCI is more readily available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts