DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a panel replacement job in a multi-family house that failed inspection because some (pre-existing) circuits in the panel control common areas and the panel in not accessible to all residents (NEC 210.25 violation). The panel is on an exterior wall so the inspector suggests moving panel to the exterior on the other side of the wall where it is accessible by all.

I want to place the outdoor surface-mount panel directly on the opposite side of the wall, and drill through both panels (and the wall) so that THHN wires can be run between the exterior panel and the existing interior panel (which will now be a junction box). Is this allowed under NEC? What type of fittings can I use to comply with NEC 352.46 (protect wires from abrasion) and NEC 312.5(C) (secure wires entering enclosure)?

Thanks for any help! It is greatly appreciated.

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
Check with your inspector, but you may be able to get by using a PVC nipple with rings and anti abrasion rings between the two in a size that will accommodate your cables. Yes, you can use the old box as a jbox, but you may need to lock it shut to prevent tampering. Again, ask him/her.

Are you planning on a new drop from the utility to the new box?

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,664 Posts
Work in a multi-occupant building needs to be done by a licensed electrician. This is not DIY work.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Port
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.