DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Moving HVAC Vent in Wall

6194 3
Hi Everyone:

I have a current project that I am working on to install pocket doors in a non-load-bearing wall dividing a master bedroom and office\guest bedroom to create more of a "suite" feel.

The picture below tells the story:

So, I currently have a HVAC (hot air only at this point -- no central air) vent coming up from the floor (this is the second floor). The house was built in 1915 and I don't think that the forced air was there originally.

The vent is connected to rigid flat oval duct, and would prefer not to dig into the floor below to move the vent.

So my question is, can I move the vent over by about 16 inches by running some sort of duct work in floor? Perhaps some flexible duct? Is it possible to connect flexible duct to a flat oval duct? Do they may connectors or flexible flat oval ducts that can be used? Anyone have experience or recommended brands?

Thanks very much for your consideration and time to review my question!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,009 Posts
I am not the expert that you are looking for, but I do have 2 questions, which I believe will be relevant to a workable solution. Which way do your floor joists run? Parallel or perpendicular to this wall? If parallel, it seems that you should be able to purchase, or have made by a local heating and cooling contractor, a transition. If perpendicular, I would consider a floor register, or registers, depending on whether you need heat in one room or both.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dexter:

Thanks for the response. Floor joists run parallel to the wall, so I think I should be able to move it over in the cavity created by the joists. I have pulled up the floorboards and verified it. I still need to lay a new floor, so putting it in the wall is preferable to save me work down the line, but not the only option. A floor register can work if it is the better solution.

Cap'n

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.