DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am New to this forum. Based on other cable modem questions posted to the forum this seems like the best spot to post this question.

I have Comcast xfinity as my ISP. We are on the gig speed plan (now advertised as up to 1.2 gig). For years our cable modem was in the kitchen but I finally decided it needs to move and finally run some Ethernet as well.

we no longer use Comcast for CATV, so I also want to use the existing other 6 coax lines to run OTA tv signal from a roof antenna.
Cable comes into basement runs through a grounded connector block (ext cable downgraded to interior grade) then an attenuator, some other device into an amplified splitter (see photos). The attenuator is a fam-06 (it had a sticker) the other device has some close ups.

Should I keep the attenuation and other device or just try initially the cable modem plugged in directly after the grounding block?

Door Bicycle handlebar Wood Bicycle fork Line
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Electrical wiring Crankset
Wood Cosmetics Microphone Tints and shades Font
Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Publication Auto part

·
Super Moderator
22,545 Posts
If it goes through the device now on its way to the modem I would leave it going through the device.
If it doesn't work them try removing the device.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, I was not going to use the splitter as I am moving the other coax to OTA.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I think the red banded item is a MOCA filter. It was needed for your DVR. You shouldn't need it now but no harm in leaving it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Understand your device.
You may have had a DVR or a VOIP phone previously.
You can add a recorder for OTA content to simulate a DVR experience.
If you had and still have a true modem (not a gateway modem/router in one), make sure it is new enough to provide you the internet speed you pay for. If not, replace with a new stand alone modem and add a router for wifi. That way you can add your own VOIP phone to internet service (ooma is pretty good) and add other devices like Roku, smart tv's etc to get a variety of streaming services.
The original Comcast splitter may also be an amplifier and actually distort any OTA signal. A small passive tv splitter may be necessary.
Check your Xfinity account for data caps because it's expensive when you go over unless you pay extra for an unlimited plan.
Roku and Firestick and others compete so much that there is a large amount of free programming in addition to Netflix, HBO etc. Many people are happy to use OTA antenna and free internet content on their tvs.
If you run new Ethernet CAT6 cable, plan carefully where your hub will be. Your 'hub' is likely the router. Modem can be anywhere but most people keep near router. First short run of Ethernet goes between modem and router. Get a router with multiple OUT ports. A switch (much like a splitter) can be added to router to expand to even more ports to accommodate Ethernet runs. Router should be somewhere where wifi can reach all tablet and smartphone users. And a VOIP phone needs to plug into router so it's located near router or needs its own Ethernet run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts