DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
probably not, but I strongly recommend against it. If you do lay it down make sure that when you get it back upright that you let it sit unplugged for a minimum of 24 hours. I would make every attempt to move it in the upright position.

Reactions: kt82

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Depends on how old it is. Easier if you have someone with a pick up, just to help move it upright. Otherwise, go by the old rule, and let sit for about a day or so before plugging back in.

·
Hvac Pro
23,330 Posts
you NEVER want to transport a fridge or AC on its side!! The compressor rides on 3 springs inside the hermetic shell. if you move it on its side the horizontal/ lateral force of bumps can over stretch/break the springs and ruin the compressor. they are meant to ride on those springs in a vertical motion.

·
Underwriter
96 Posts
I transported my fridge on it's side for a 40 minute trip over numerous bumps and potholes and let it sit 2 weeks (I was moving from an apartment so I just let it sit) and it runs just fine. No extra noises, no loss of cooling, etc...

I don't think my fridge had springs though, they looked like flexible rubber pads.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Listen to yuri and biggles.
# 1 the springs are internal you can't see them if one breaks forget it.

#2 The oil will block up the cap tube forget about it.

#1 and 2 buy a new refrigerator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts