DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move a 2x8 that is a support beam for the 2nd floor. I'm turning it into another bedroom and I can't fit any thing up the stairs. I just need to move it to the other side of the beam. The 2 are sistered together but do not run the full length of the opening it is only 38 in wide. I'm also cutting back the floor above it to be even with the new beams. It is only a floor and a rail that can be cut back. Any ideas on what to do to move the 2x8's and replace them with? By the way they are actual 2x8's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Do you mean that there is ONE two bye eight that goes the full distance, resting on solid support on both ends......PLUS a SECOND two bye eight that goes only part way, sitting on nothing on either end, and is just nailed to the first? And you want to move the short one to the other side of the long one leaving long one untouched? Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One is resting on framing and the other is just nailed into it floating. I want to move both of them over just to the other side of the one closest to the door. To give me an extra 4 in.

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
If you do that then what's the wall going to sit on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts