DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please refer to the picture but I want to move my drain to the other wall.

Can I continue on the existing drain through the stud and turning the corner etc. with the correct fall which I think is about 1/4" per foot? This option would appear easy but I'm concerned about the 90 degree elbow and cogs. And does the air vent need to be closer to the sink?

Another option would be to drop another line in the crawl space and hook up the air vent in the attic. But I had trouble getting the water supply lines down there because I can across the main bearer under the house. So for this to work I may have to go directly through the floor avoiding the bearer in the crawl space.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you. I'm in the state of VA and I'm not worry about the code I just want it to work.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,469 Posts
You need more posts to be able to insert pictures.

A 90 degree turn in a drain is asking for trouble.

And a hole big enough for a drain pipe is not advised in a load bearing wall, if this wall is one.

need to see .

ED

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
There are ways around floor supports to go the vertical route- you just need to be creative and think outside the box by using a 45 offset at the floor level and conceal it in the toe kick.

As for turns- 180* is not uncommon and you could add the vent in the wall after you turn the corner with a long sweep 90.

Reactions: kadina64

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for the heads up about the pictures. I posted a picture under my album I hope you can see it. Your comments make complete sense as the wall is load bearing and that probably explains why the studs are very warped (there is a A/C handling unit in the attic above this space so that may be contributing to it). A problem for another day.

Back to the drain, so I'm learning towards leaving drain in the same place and routing the vanity sink drain under the vanity outside the wall. i will be building the vanity and it will be open underneath so this will make routing the drain fairly easy.

If you can see the picture I have already moved the supply lines to the other wall and I will moved them back to the original drain location. I will put the sink back in the corner of the room and just flip it around so it is facing the load bearing wall rather than the wall the drain exits on. I hope is all makes sense and I did not consider the fact this wall is load bearing so thanks for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts