DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you did some delivery in your youth you know the disaster that can result from an oil spill. Delivery drivers are seasonal so chances of getting an inexperienced one are high. Our old regular disappeared years ago and now it is a new face all too often. No obvious solution to offer.

I wrestled with my supplier until I determined my concerns were a bad fuel guage. Replaced it and now don't get panicked as before.

LOL, just pretend you have a 225 gallon tank.

Bud
Hi Bud:
Maybe you are a good person to ask. My 275 gallon oil tank is only about 7 years old. I need to get behind it to repair a basement wall crack. Is it a big deal to disconnect and shift it a few inches away from wall and move back after repair? I can wait until it is almost empty or lift gently with a pallet jack. Just need to scootch the back end away - feeder line end can stay as is.
Thanks Shoehead

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
I'm not a pro on this so will let others fill in.

Bud

·
Administrator
40,845 Posts
Oil weighs roughly 7.3 pounds per gallon. So you want the tank nearly empty. Else you risk twisting off a leg bracket. Empty is best, as the tank itself is not light.

Reactions: CaptTom

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
They're heavy, but not so heavy you can't shift them when nearly empty. Biggest problem is going to be undoing any fill or vent pipes which may need to be moved. You might want to start squirting some penetrating oil in the threads now, and have a BIG pipe wrench available. Hopefully the boiler supply line at the bottom has a shut-off valve, and can be carefully removed, keeping both surfaces clean. I've always found flair fittings to be finicky, maybe it's just me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts