DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a main load center in my garage. Panel is a flush mount BR4040B200 by Eaton.

I'm installing a sub panel

I need to move 25 circuits from the original panel to the sub panel

Breakdown of what's moving:
- 5x 15A AFCI breakers
- 10x 15A SP breakers
- 10x 20A SP breakers

All of these circuits currently enter the original panel and I can see they are romex ( either 12-2 or 14-2 ) and then stripped of the outer romex sheathing just inside the original panel.

Question #1:
Do I need to splice these circuits with appropriately sized THHN-2 wire and then use conduit between the panels? The two panels have identical knock out patterns, so there are numerous ko's that line up between the two panels, I would just need to bore through a 2x4 to get access to the ko's. I believe using 2x 1.25" ko's would give me enough area to splice these 75 individual wires.

Question #2:
For circuits that would reach without needing to be spliced, how do I compute conduit fill for this stripped romex wires, or is running already stripped romex through conduit not allowed in this situation?

Question #3:
I'd prefer to get away from flush mount panels, and instead use surface mounts. This makes it much easier to add circuits in the future in my case. What is the best way to get from a flush mount ( I can't change the original load center) to conduit running on the surface of the wall?

Thanks,
MJ

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
You do not have to use conduit between the panels, you can use cable. You can't run stripped Romex in conduit.

·
Super Moderator
8,874 Posts
Move 25 circuits?

What are you adding to the main that would not fir into the sub?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sub panel will ultimately be powered by my UPS/Generator system. Yes, a separately derived system. The UPS is rated for 15kva.

Initially I will supply the sub from the main, but then when my UPS installation is completed I'll switch the feed for the sub over to the UPS.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
The sub panel will ultimately be powered by my UPS/Generator system. Yes, a separately derived system. The UPS is rated for 15kva.

Initially I will supply the sub from the main, but then when my UPS installation is completed I'll switch the feed for the sub over to the UPS.
Why not just install a breaker interlock kit and leave the circuits in the main panel? Just turn off the circuits you don't want to rum on the gen set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question....

Short answer is I want these circuits "protected" 100% of the time, meaning I don't want to mess with a generator starting up, or a transfer switch.

Long answer -> search this forum for "Whole Home UPS" and there's a thread showing what I am currently designing.

MJ

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Why do you feel so many circuits need to be on a UPS?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not so much a case of "need," but instead one of "why not?"

If the power goes out during a thunderstorm here, I'd rather not be sitting completely in the dark. So why not run some of the lighting circuits off of this "protected" panel.

But by moving most of the receptacles to this protected panel I can get rid of numerous smaller UPS units, and not have to worry about plugging in a computer / Xbox / TV / etc.

I will leave some receptacles and some lights in the main panel, in case I need to de-energize the UPS for maintenance.

Put another way, imagine this scene:

Power goes out during a storm.
My spouse says something to the effect of "All that time and effort spent on protecting your precious computer gear and you couldn't include the bedroom TV and bedroom lights?" :surprise:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts