DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gutted a bathroom. I need to add a vanity electrical box. Do I just nail a block of wood between the studs or use one of boxes below? The stud wall is 2x6 for that wall.

Also, how far below the ceiling should I mount the box?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
Either method is fine. Positioning depends on the mirror and light you are using. Your call, no stock answer.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
For a Wet wall, I would attach a 1x6 where the mirror may hang if you are not going with a wall cabinet. You also need another 1x6 where the Vanity will set, so that you have something to attach to.

Another key thing to remember. Run 12/3 to it, in case you ever decide to add a controller for the light if you get tired of always having to turn it off for people. Also add a set of outlets on both sides of the vanity. You will thank yourself later. Same as one on the opposite wall to allow for a vacuum to be plugged in. It can be on two separate GFCI protected circuits.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
You also need another 1x6 where the Vanity will set, so that you have something to attach to.

There is already something to attach the vanity to. They are called studs. A very similar situation occurs in the kitchen also.

RJ already gave the correct answer.

·
JOATMON
17,225 Posts
Position? Like RJ said, depends on the light.

Based on my house...and light fixtures I've seen.....12" below the ceiling should not create any problems.

If you want to be scientific.....

Find the tallest person in the house. Mark that point on the wall. Divide the distance from that point to the ceiling. Divide it in half. That is your starting point. Put the box above or below it based on how tall you think the tallest person might get and the size and type of fixture you might use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put a loop in and use a old work box at 7'. I do it this way because customers normally throw a wrench in the plan and change what size vanity they will use. But if your sure about what going on there I would put the box in now.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.