DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a pigeon problem lately with pigeons sitting around the perimeter of my house over both entrances. This leads to a lot of droppings splattering both entrances, the car, the mailbox...really everything. I purchased some 2' strips of bird spikes with plans to mount them around the perimeter of the roof in these areas and then realized I have no idea of how to mount them on the roof.

I have a flat modified bitumen rooftop and almost zero experience with that type of roof. I thought I'd reach out for some advice on the best way to mount them. Currently I'm thinking of two options:

1. I thought about using some kind of adhesive/caulking to attach the spike strips around the perimeter. This seems like a pretty good option, but I'm not sure how well I could expect it to stick to the rooftop or which product to use to ensure I don't damage the bitumen.

2. I thought about mounting the spikes on some treated 2x4 or 2x6 lumber and laying that around the perimeter. I would probably have to weight it down to make doubly sure it doesn't move...maybe some patio stone?

Any comments on either of these ideas or whether there's a better option I haven't thought of?

Bonus: I have a few small areas of asphalt shingle roofing on some dormers that so far I don't need to protect. However, if I protect the areas where the pigeons are currently sitting, I think they may move to these areas as well. If I wanted to attach the spikes to the angled surfaces of the dormer, would a roofing adhesive work there as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,714 Posts
I was looking at some pigeon spikes on a structure, today. It sure seemed like there were a couple dead pigeons with their heads hanging down over the edge. Not very attractive. I guess they got trapped. Some little birds ( sparrows ?) were making nests within the spikes because it provided protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can’t speak to the specifics of the bird spikes you saw, but generally the whole point of them is to deter birds from landing in an area, in my case around the perimeter of my roof, not to kill them. There’s a lot of resources already out there debating the pros and cons of different styles of bird deferents, but unfortunately not any discussing how to mount things on a flat roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts