DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I want to flush mount a junction box in stucco so I can attach an outside light on my garage. I don't know how thick the stucco is or if there's plywood underneath, etc. Here are my questions:

1. If I hit plywood, can I screw the box to it (instead of a stud)? This way, I assume I can just then drill a small hole in the plywood for the romex, instead of having to cut a much larger hole in the wood to accommodate the box.

2. If it needs to be attached to stud, what box do I use? (I've seen metal boxes with side brackets but the brackets are too long to fit through the stucco or easily drive screws in.)

3. Does the box type (plastic vs. metal) or shape (round vs. octagon) matter at all?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Get a round remodel plastic box and a carbide tip hole saw. Drill all the way thru. If wood behind plaster, you can screw the ears thru the plaster.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That is the best box. It can be purchased at home depot or Amazon. Of course l say HD being in a big city. It may be better for you to order it.
You can screw or nail thru the ears to wood or get long screws for the metal bracket so it will push all the way behind the stucco.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the best box. It can be purchased at home depot or Amazon. Of course l say HD being in a big city. It may be better for you to order it.
You can screw or nail thru the ears to wood or get long screws for the metal bracket so it will push all the way behind the stucco.
OK, thanks. I just see that there is an outer lip and tabs that I assume would limit how far the box can be pushed back, and I'm also not sure how the back screws and metal side "brackets" come into play. It'll probably be easier for me to understand once I check them out at HD. (No YouTube vids unfortunately.) I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The metal bracket is pushed in with the screws until it snaps pen enough to catch the back side of the wall pulling the box inwards as the ears (tabs) hold it outwards (sandwiching the wall between tightly).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts