DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had my bathroom remodeled and it's almost time to put up my vanity light. I thought I'd make sure that I have what I need before I get to that point. I just looked at the junction box (I think that is what it's called) and the mounting bracket the came with the light and I just don't see how this is going to work.

The junction box has what look like two screw holes and the bracket comes with two screws that look like you just slot them into the holes, or into the tracks, and tighten them down when the other screws (with the brown tops) are aligned the way you want them so that the fixture will be properly aligned.

Here's the problem, the screws you see in the photo with the mounting bracket drop right into those holes and push all the way to the back and don't come anywhere close to filling the space. No amount of turning is going to make them tight. They just rattle around loose. The junction box has no other place to mount anything.

So, do I need different screws than the ones that came with the light? Is there something else that I'm missing here? The holes in the junction box are not threaded otherwise I'd be sure that was the solution.

Thanks,
Swani

* Sorry the lighting is so odd. The power to the bathroom is off so my only light is a halogen on an extension cord.

Attachments

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
So, do I need different screws than the ones that came with the light? Is there something else that I'm missing here? The holes in the junction box are not threaded otherwise I'd be sure that was the solution.
That particular pancake box isn't intended to support the weight of the fixture. The light fixture crossbar mounts directly to the joist or stud using wood screws passing right through the holes in the box. And of course, if the stud isn't behind the holes there is nothing for the screws to grip.

Rotate the box so the holes align with the stud. It looks like you have plenty of excess cable to do that. Then install the fixture crossbar plate with wood screws. Or replace the box with a steel one.

·
1,115 Posts
Since the screw holes in the existing box are stripped, I would change the box to a metal one. Then the mounting plate connects to the box usually through whichever slotted holes you need, to make the fixture mounting bolts level.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,596 Posts
That particular pancake box isn't intended to support the weight of the fixture. The light fixture crossbar mounts directly to the joist or stud using wood screws passing right through the holes in the box. And of course, if the stud isn't behind the holes there is nothing for the screws to grip.

Rotate the box so the holes align with the stud. It looks like you have plenty of excess cable to do that. Then install the fixture crossbar plate with wood screws. Or replace the box with a steel one.

Fish... Thanks.... I've never run into that.... Curisity, how is the pancake box itself mounted.

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem replacing a light fixture. You can see the mounting box has only two screw holes and they are horizontal and spaced 2 3/4" apart. One is threaded the same as the decorative fixture bolt and the other hole has a slightly larger thread diameter.

The mounting holes for the decorative lamp are also horizonatal and spaced 2 3/4" apart. If the adjustable bracket is mounted using the two horizontal screw locations I can't attach the lamp to anything.??!!

Do I need to replace the box in the Wall to use this fixture?

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts