DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to install a power inlet for my generator and have a couple questions about code. From what I've seen, my area just follows the 2008 NEC, and pretty much doesn't specify anything else.

I am using an (approved) mechanical interlock combined with a backfeed breaker. This mechanical interlock makes it physically impossible for both the main breaker and the backfeed breaker from being on at once.

My main panel is outside (a combination meter pan/breaker panel). I am planning on getting an outdoor rated L14-30 inlet (similar to http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) and mount it in close proximity to the panel.

My question is, can I physically mount the inlet to the panel, or must I space it with a short piece of conduit? On the same note, can I secure the inlet to the panel (which is physically attached to the house) or must it be secured to the house itself? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
You will need to mount it to the wall and short nipple it to the panel. A close nipple would surely work. The box itself needs to be supported by means other than the conduit (nipple).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.