DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we have an 8'4" ceiling and 7'6" doors in our attic that we want to finish. There's only 10" between the door top and the ceiling.

The rest of the Victorian house has 11' ceilings and 8' doors with 5.5" moulding around the door and almost 10" of moulding above the doors and between 8"-11" high crown moulding.

In the attic we want to add moulding around the doors and the windows and in the ceiling so it comes close to matching the rest of the home (and doesn't look like an after thought). I'd love to see at least 6-8" or more of crown moulding in the ceiling. But that means that the door moulding will shrink to an ugly 2" and won't match the sides or the entire door moulding won't match the rest of the house. Is there a way to have large crown moulding everywhere except at the door, which has it's own molding and make it still look good? Also what about windows (not too many fortunately in the attic)? They are 8' high. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
No, you can't finish the attic in exactly the same way.

I would suggest you try to keep the same look, same door trim, but scale everything down to fit the space completely. Scale down your crown moulding and run it around the room and when it comes to your door trim, it will bump out and go around it too. This will likely mean using a much smaller crown moulding that will not the door trim look top heavy.

With the shorter ceiling you will want smaller crown anyway, which is why Im saying everything should be scaled down a little bit. Same idea, just smaller scale.

If you have pictures, post them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the quick responses. Sadly no pics yet as we are almost at the drywall stage. I could take a picture of the framing.

A quick question: You said " Scale down your crown moulding and run it around the room and when it comes to your door trim, it will bump out and go around it too. "

Can you possibly elaborate, as I'm not sure what you mean by it will bump out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Let's say the head above your door is 1" thick. If you run the crown moulding around the ceiling and around/above the door trim, it will have to be mitered to go around the door trim. It will bump out 1" as it goes around the perimeter of the door trim.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It would be similar to the way the crown wraps around the trim in this photo. But across the entire head, making the door entablature stand out proud from the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts