DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Just a DIY guy
297 Posts
amyevans said:
Calm down people! No one said anything that out of line :)

And just for everyone referring to the OP as a 'he'; he is a she!

Update:

I actually found a solution to the mould in-between the tiles. Can't believe I didn't think of it before - a toothbrush! It worked wonders and right now the gaps between the tiles are looking really rather clean!

Still can't seem to do anything about the mould that grows on the sealant though...
That might clean up the grout but it sounds like you need better venting. Quick test: take 1-2 sheets of toilet paper and put it up against the vent fan. If the fan holds the paper up there by itself, the you have at least SOME airflow and maybe the solution is to leave the fan on for longer If paper does not stay up then you need to fix the fan.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Calm down people! No one said anything that out of line :)

And just for everyone referring to the OP as a 'he'; he is a she!
Hard to tell from the photo.
Just saying.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Hello--still watching----and being very stealthy,too.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I'm really not used to being the voice of reason, but.
We have 25 posts and the female poster has yet to provide photos of the issue.
She said she would, but the only thing we've established, is that the OP is a chic.
I'm getting the feeling this could be the DIY version of, "The Crying Game".
....There's also a side issue concerning Canadians, but let's not dwell on that at this time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Soooo, showers and tile do mix? Hahaha wtf? I guess all those million dollar homes we've built with the tile showers should've just had fiberglass surrounds. Damn, and we spent all that money:(
The actual tiles in my bathroom are fine, there's certainly no separation from the wall, despite all the other problems I'm having.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That might clean up the grout but it sounds like you need better venting. Quick test: take 1-2 sheets of toilet paper and put it up against the vent fan. If the fan holds the paper up there by itself, the you have at least SOME airflow and maybe the solution is to leave the fan on for longer If paper does not stay up then you need to fix the fan.
Thank you; I'll try this :)

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
you have a real bad attitude and have been reported...

I have an old shower, water eventually got behind the tiles and molded the drywall...The cracks inbetween the tiles and I can see the mold...if he was referring to just general mold ontop of tile - it wasn't what I was referring to.

Your comments are way over the top - in the future never respond to anything I post.

There should not have been drywall behind it to begin with:no:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Amy, by sealant do you mean latex caulk? Is it sort of rubbery? If this is growing mold you should still be able to clean it off, but it might be time to remove it entirely and recaulk. If the edges of the caulk are no longer tight to the surfaces that they are against then you are going to get water behind them. I've often found that mold grows on caulk when it separates from the surface as it then harbors moisture behind it when feeds the mold.

And you may be fine leaving your bathroom door open when you shower. Depends on how big your hallway is, whether the bathroom fan is in fact working well enough to pull air into the bathroom. But I would not rely on this strategy for anything more than a stop-gap measure until you have the vent fan investigated.

One other thing that might help...a low flow showerhead. Less hot water GPH flowing through your showerhead mean less moisture in the air.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I got into trouble here with a girl named Mick, is that the same?:laughing:
I can't do any more gender bending, I pulled a muscle at work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess I should have explained myself completely, didn't know it would flame such a war...LOL

Tile and showers don't mix unless you install the proper materials, most people who are amatures will just tile over existing drywall or even cement board and eventually the water gets in and causes problems. I had the impression (sorry if i was wrong) that the original poster might be leaning to this quick fix...and would end up with similar problems.

I hope that explains everything a little clearer...

The reason I reported Bud, isn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about - its because he was being a jerk...no reason to respond the way he did..I have no problem with that.

Pretty hilarious macho posts though...

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
The reason I reported Bud, isn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about - its because he was being a jerk...no reason to respond the way he did..I have no problem with that.
No war...just get your facts right!:)

Okay as long as we are keeping the record straight around here just let me say that by reporting me you weren't getting a virgin. I get reported from time to time and it is mainly because I have a low tolerance for stupid comments such as the ones you made. You were incorrect on both counts and I said so. I don't see you defending your comments, I only see you back peddling and excusing your comments. Mis-information abounds on Internet Forums but when it comes to tile installations, and as long as I'm around, you and people like you aren't going to get away with mis-leading the DIY'ers here if I have anything to say about it.

No hard feelings on my part, didn't mean to hurt yours. But I'll bet the next time you think twice before you say something else stupid about the performance of ceramic tile and tile installations. Behave yourself.:)

XOXOXOXO

·
Registered
265 Posts
Backpeddling? Hilarious...

I guess the thing is Bud I know what I was thinking and it wasn't dumb...

No matter, maybe you'll rethink your arrogance and try responding with some more patience...or maybe not? :no:

:whistling2:

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
I guess I should have explained myself completely, didn't know it would flame such a war...LOL

Tile and showers don't mix unless you install the proper materials, most people who are amatures will just tile over existing drywall or even cement board and eventually the water gets in and causes problems. I had the impression (sorry if i was wrong) that the original poster might be leaning to this quick fix...and would end up with similar problems.

I hope that explains everything a little clearer...

Pretty hilarious macho posts though...
Please explain this earlier post YOU made
I have an old shower, water eventually got behind the tiles and molded the drywall...:eek:

I am with Mr. Bud on this one.:yes:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts