DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leviton motion sensor switch I want to use. The switch in my garage is a rocker light switch, not one of the older ones. It goes to a fluorescent light with the long light tubes, not a regular bulb light fixture. Is there a reason why it wouldn't be changeable to the motion sensor?

I tried changing the switch out, but when I turn on the power, the light doesn't turn on. I didn't try the motion sensor in darkness, I don't know if that would make a difference.

I can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Did the motion sensor require a neutral? Did you have a neutral? Not all white wires are neutrals.
Does the motion sensor say it works with fluorescent lights?

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Yeah, most motion sensors won't turn on if there is daylight present. They're intended for passage lighting, not work lighting.

As far as not working with a ballast, that would make sense if the motion sensor does not have a neutral wire. Try rewiring the circuit to add an incandescent bulb to the circuit, that may take care of it. If it does, adding a LUT-MLC dummy load may take care of the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leviton Decora, No IPS02. The box says "controls: LED/CFL, Incandescent, Halogen Bulbs, Ballasts and Fans.

When I pulled out the old switch, there was the ground wire attached to the green screw, and two gray wires. I think I tried both configurations, either wire to either of the sensor switch's screws, but nothing worked. Did I damage the switch by connecting it wrong?

I tried it with the garage door open, so it was light. I think I'll try again with the door closed.

·
Registered
appliances
3,159 Posts
Assuming that the Neutral & Ground connections are the same, current-wise,
there are three places in the 3 legs of this triangle that the N/G connection can go.

You should find it.

.......120v source
.…/………………\
.../………………….\
load__________switch

There is also an N-G-H triangle but that is another issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,806 Posts
Assuming that the Neutral & Ground connections are the same, current-wise,
there are three places in the 3 legs of this triangle that the N/G connection can go.

You should find it.

.......120v source
.…/………………\
.../………………….\
load__________switch

There is also an N-G-H triangle but that is another issue.
The ground should not be carrying current.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got around to dealing with this issue. I had the garage door open before and with light flooding in, it didn't work, but when I tested it with the garage door closed, it worked properly. So, problem solved. Thanks everyone for your advice and replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts