DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two floodlights on opposite ends of my home, controlled by one switch in the middle of my home. Initially, I tried wiring motion sensors on both ends of the home. Only one of the units would work at a time, the other would stay on. After installation, I read the warning against installing 2 motion lights on one switch. I decided to dedicate one of the floods to stay on all of the time and put the old flood fixture back up, and put one of the two motion sensors on the other flood at the opposite end. The motion sensor fixture worked about 5 cycles, then just stayed on all the time. I tried resetting at the breaker, resetting at the switch, etc to get it to work properly, but no luck. I assumed I must have a faulty motion sensor so I replaced it with the second sensor, which was a different brand. The second sensor worked perfectly for about 3 days and now, it has begun to behave just like the first one. It stays on all the time and can't be re-set to work correctly by turning off at the switch or the breaker. What could be causing this behavior?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have two floodlights on opposite ends of my home, controlled by one switch in the middle of my home. Initially, I tried wiring motion sensors on both ends of the home. Only one of the units would work at a time, the other would stay on. After installation, I read the warning against installing 2 motion lights on one switch. I decided to dedicate one of the floods to stay on all of the time and put the old flood fixture back up, and put one of the two motion sensors on the other flood at the opposite end. The motion sensor fixture worked about 5 cycles, then just stayed on all the time. I tried resetting at the breaker, resetting at the switch, etc to get it to work properly, but no luck. I assumed I must have a faulty motion sensor so I replaced it with the second sensor, which was a different brand. The second sensor worked perfectly for about 3 days and now, it has begun to behave just like the first one. It stays on all the time and can't be re-set to work correctly by turning off at the switch or the breaker. What could be causing this behavior?
I have a similar issue sporadically where the light is always on. It seems that if i turn the switch off for an extended period of time ( a few hours) and then turn it back on, it works properly again. I have no idea of the cause.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
The motion sensor lights sold at consumer retail stores will go into different modes with each brief flicker of power. (Or in other words, they are a pain in the you know what!)

With that said, commercial outdoor lighting uses motion sensors which are set with switches. And good quality photo-sensors to turn on only when it gets dark. You can get these at an electrician's supply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts