DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

This is not a floor question but it pertains to this section...so here goes. I want to do some Mosaic tiles along the back of my bar. There are two mirrors in the center so the total space is quite small. My question is, how can do these small tiles over wood?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I take it you are not comfortble cuttting out the wood and putting in backer board. If this is the case then you can use a white wall mastic (glue). This is not recomended over wood but it will work for the wall.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it you are not comfortble cuttting out the wood and putting in backer board. If this is the case then you can use a white wall mastic (glue). This is not recomended over wood but it will work for the wall.
Would I use this instead of mortar or use this first?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
O-o-o-o-k-a-a-a-a-y, that's really concise and helpful so far.

Is this "wood" like a wood panelling from yesteryear?
Is this "wood" like a wood trim around the mirrors?
Is the "wood" rough in texture?
Is this "wood" smooth in texture?

"It's painted but it's thin".
And it is "thin".........because????

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O-o-o-o-k-a-a-a-a-y, that's really concise and helpful so far.

Is this "wood" like a wood panelling from yesteryear?
Is this "wood" like a wood trim around the mirrors?
Is the "wood" rough in texture?
Is this "wood" smooth in texture?

And it is "thin".........because????
I cant answer why it's thin. We just bought the house. It's not wood paneling. It's about a half inch thick and smooth. It's 'like" ply wood", but not. Sorry, I ca't be more descriptive, but like I said we just moved in, but i can say it's old, but not damaged.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Can you post a picture?
Yes I see you can. Thanks. That's' a lot better.

Okay...so you want to install tile around all the mirrors, or what?

I'm thinking your best-bet in this case is to use PL-400 adhesive. Just don't allow it to purge between the tiles. Regular tile mastic won't stick to the paint and modified tile thinset mortar wouldn't last much longer I'm sure.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I see you can. Thanks. That's' a lot better.

Okay...so you want to install tile around all the mirrors, or what?

I'm thinking your best-bet in this case is to use PL-400 adhesive. Just don't allow it to purge between the tiles. Regular tile mastic won't stick to the paint and modified tile thinset mortar wouldn't last much longer I'm sure.:)
Yeah, Im just looking to add something around the glass. Thanks for your input!

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
The only idea I have is to use metal tile edging but with all of those ins and outs using metal edging would be a huge pain.

Tile mosaics really aren't good for your application without bordering the mosaics with some regular tile and you don't have room for that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only idea I have is to use metal tile edging but with all of those ins and outs using metal edging would be a huge pain.

Tile mosaics really aren't good for your application without bordering the mosaics with some regular tile and you don't have room for that.
Is there anything else you can recommend?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Yow okay.:)

I don't know which mosaics you have in mind but maybe if you were to use "glass mosaics" they would better lend themselves to not using or having an edge-product to deal with.:) The edges of most glass mosaics has a finished appearance (glass).:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yow okay.:)

I don't know which mosaics you have in mind but maybe if you were to use "glass mosaics" they would better lend themselves to not using or having an edge-product to deal with.:) The edges of most glass mosaics has a finished appearance (glass).:)
Maybe Ill try that. This is more frustrating then i thought. lol. Thanks though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts