DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have mold in my attic. It's because the attic exhaust is blowing in there. I'll get that fixed, but bigger question is how do I get rid of the mold up there?

Spray with bleach? A pro just told me that it'll grow back within 30 days.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it even safe to do this on my own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Safe? Likely not, esp if you are sensitive to mold. My son opened a closet in a rental, started to clean it, and mold spores went everywhere. His throat started to close rapidly, and he almost suffocated; had to get outside asap. I'd at least ventilate excessively. I can not imagine mold growing back IF the bleach can get to it (10% is the max you need). That is a big IF. Molds can penetrate pretty deep, I have read. You may want to bite the bullet on this one and get that pro; guarantee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
If possible, put some insulation out there while you are at it. At least an inch. A rain screen is always a good idea, too.
 

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
It will grow back unless you control the moisture that is allowing it to thrive in the first place. First get the ventilation straightened out or any mold remediation you do is wasted. Then clean up the mold. Treat it with a fungicide. Bleach will kill it if done properly. Bleach isn't an especially good cleanser by itself, but mixed with a detergent it will work. Let everything dry thoroughly, then seal it. You have to clean it up. Wipe it up. Sand it off. Whatever it takes, you have to get rid of as much of it as possible to minimize the risk of re-infestation. Some people are much more prone to reaction when exposed to mold than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Be careful what you mix bleach w/. I think ammonia and bleach makes a lethal gas. Since I don't know the chemistry of all the cleaners, I never mix anything w/ bleach. Bleach is used to kill everything in hospital/clinic disinfectant stations, so it will kill mold. But, as noted, you have to get the bleach to the mold, and then prevent the mold from growing again.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top