DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our old microwave died yesterday and when I pulled it down we noticed black mold on the wall and under the above cabinet. The microwave in theory is vented out the back into a duct that vents out the roof. I have two thoughts, either the vent to microwave doesn't seal tight or it's just years of use where not all the steam/vapors go into vent and creeps around the edges of the microwave. Thoughts?

Since we will be installing a new one and I'm concerned about being able to seal the vent connection properly should we just recirculate the exhaust bypassing the vent? I would seal up the old vent.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Building my last home
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
The trick is to remove all of the old mounting brackets and install the new. A hint of caulk/silicone when you put up the new one on the out side of the duct will work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trick is to remove all of the old mounting brackets and install the new. A hint of caulk/silicone when you put up the new one on the out side of the duct will work
Yes, the new bracket is just a strip, easy to install. I had thought about using some sort of weather stripping around the vent opening. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
The mold might not be related to use of the exhaust fan and air leaking out of the venting, but simply moisture that ends up behind the unit when steam is being produced below and the fan hasn’t been turned on.
 

·
Naildriver
Joined
·
15,675 Posts
Not questioning you, but are you sure it is mold and not soot from possibly burned food or something like that?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mike Milam
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top