DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our house is built on a hill and one end of the crawl space is almost five feet high while the far end is hardly five inches. When it rains, the water gushes from the top of the hill under the house and out a drain pipe that someone installed several years ago. Also, when it is hot outside, there is a lot of moisture under the house in general.

Now things are beginning to smell musty under the house and I'm afraid the smell is coming into the house as well. How could we clean this out and make it safer and healthier for our family?

·
11,730 Posts
Is the pipe clear? Find the outside termination, it may be blocked, vegetation, rocks,etc. Can you roto-router it? Then install a bucket under the inside crawl mouth to catch sediment or use some landscape fabric in front of. The bucket idea may keep water there, not good.

Best solution would be drain tile lines, buried, to gather the water, then exit it away.

Be sure to install 6 mill. plastic and seal the edges to the footing or wall.

http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/pipe_tile.html Be safe, G

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I would redirect the water before it got to the house. A "V" shaped culvert buried in the soil that would catch a majority of the water and direct it around the house through piping.
I would either research this idea or call in people who specialize in water redirection.
After this system is installed, see what happens.
Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts