DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a moisture meter to determine is a water stain in my kitchen ceiling old or from a leaky pipe been monitoring for 2mos.

Anyone here know what is a typical moisture content range should be in drywall?

In New Jersey (so not particularly humid or arid climate)

·
retired painter
9,901 Posts
I've never used a moisture meter, I usually go by sight and feel. Maybe you could use the meter in another area where you know it's dry to use as a comparison.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Moisture reading for Gypsum plaster when cured & dried is 6%.
For drywall I would think around 6% or lower would be acceptable being drywall has a gypsum core.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never used a moisture meter, I usually go by sight and feel. Maybe you could use the meter in another area where you know it's dry to use as a comparison.
It leaves holes in the walls so I did a bunch of readings in the bedroom using the same 2 puncture holes over a week or two (eventually the holes got too big to be usable)

Bedroom is 1.3% lower on average, but all readings in drywall fluctuate from 3.5%-9% (ie 5 readings,same spot,over 3min).

(the calibration thing it came with always reads 18.2-18.3%, so its just crappy at reading drywall)

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
The most accurate way I've found to check moisture percent is to take a sample and use original weight vs dried weight. Maybe you could do one of those drywall pumpkin patch jobs without the hinge flap to repair the hole.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
What is above the kitchen, any plumbing? Maybe a bathroom?

I use an infrared camera (not an IR thermometer). If there is any moisture present the evaporation produces a cooler reading. They rent cameras also.

Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts