DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small bedroom wall that we had to remove sheetrock because of a roof leak and mold was inside of the wall cavity from the roof leak which we had remediated. Outside of this wall is a patio room so it does not get ANY rain that ever hits it, so original contractor who built the patio room never installed building paper on this portion of the house since it doesn't get exposed to rain. The patio room side of the wall has siding. The rest of the house was built in 1968 so house has NO plywood sheathing common back then then building paper and stucco. I want to add a permeable moisture barrier to this small bedroom to help with less air/moisture infiltrating into the wall. Since the outside of this wall never gets rain can I just install tyvek or building paper from the inside and tape to studs? I don't want to use a vapor barrier just in case the roof ever leaks again into that wall cavity. Vapor barriers make trapped moisture much worse. Also what type of permeable moisture barrier would be best to use? Thank you.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
So far we have no location, no pictures, no idea if this patio is heated and cooled.
Roof leaking where the porch roof was tied into the house?
What was done to fix it?
Not sure about the logic of a vapor barrier trying to prevent future damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of the outside of the bedroom, as you can see the patio room doesn't allow for any rain to get on the wall or window however the room is not enclosed so is exposed to the outside air and to answer your question the patio room is not heated/cooled. I am located in Northern California. And yes the roof was leaking exactly where the patio room ties into the house roof, that bedroom wall cavity happened to be exactly where the tie in of the roofs are located. The roof is completely fixed, it's rained since and with the wallboard open we are assured the roof is fixed.

Attachments

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Taping the Tyvek or other housewrap to the studs will not usually address what is the primary benefit of Tyvek in its rain/water shedding properties.

Tyvek is so vapor open, it isn't going to give you much in the way of vapor permeance resistance in this case either.

If the wall is no longer getting wet from the exterior (wall or roof), it should be fine to clean the interior wall with some mildewicide to ensure all the mold spores are dead, re-insulate, and close up.

I am not sure what the insulation consisted of before (probably some sort of batting) but Roxul works well and is much more moisture insensitive than fiberglass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.