DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the cartridge from my bathtub but when I tried to insert the new one it did not fit. When I removed the original cartridge I did not notice a small white plastic piece of the back housing had broken off and gotten lodge all the way in the back. Any ideas on how to remove it? I've been trying to break it piece by piece with a screwdriver but all I've managed to do is bent the hell out of the brass housing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Welcome to the forum, can we fix it. All the plumbers are busy, please give them time to respond to your post.

Going forward, they do make a cartdrige removal tool for stubborn cartdriges such as yours instead of hammering them out with a screwdriver or chisel. Can't tell by the pics, but if you bent the inside or outside of the valve housing, it may need replacing.

Before you cause anymore damage, let the plumbers take a look at it and see if they can help you out. Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
You will need to be inventive---

I suggest that you use a drill bit --create a hole in the cartridge alongside of the shaft---then insert a screw into the hole---and pull the screw--

My assistant has had to remove a couple of those---he has friends that did not use a cartridge puller---both times he drilled and pulled--

Reactions: jmon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All done

Thanks you all for the reply. After several hours and various tools I was able to remove the plastic piece. Installed the new cartridge, put it all together and now she works great. Original reason for replacing the cartridge was water was seeping out of the tub spout but now it's dry as a bone.

Attachments

·
385 Posts
Congratulations Can We Fix it? You got real lucky this time. Good work.

Even using a cartridge puller does not always alleviate any problems. Last week I had a Moen 1225 cartridge stuck in an old Moen kitchen faucet. Would barely move even with Moen brand puller. Finally got it out with channel locks, but rubber chunks were still stuck in valve. As I was attempting to remove them with my long needle-nose pliers, my client offered me a pair of medical forceps to try. Worked like a charm. She told me to keep that pair as she had others. I have a useful new tool and she has scheduled me to come back to work on two shower faucets later this week. Every day I learn about new tools to make life easier.

·
Owner
998 Posts
Congratulations Can We Fix it? You got real lucky this time. Good work.

Even using a cartridge puller does not always alleviate any problems. Last week I had a Moen 1225 cartridge stuck in an old Moen kitchen faucet. Would barely move even with Moen brand puller. Finally got it out with channel locks, but rubber chunks were still stuck in valve. As I was attempting to remove them with my long needle-nose pliers, my client offered me a pair of medical forceps to try. Worked like a charm. She told me to keep that pair as she had others. I have a useful new tool and she has scheduled me to come back to work on two shower faucets later this week. Every day I learn about new tools to make life easier.
I was in Harbor Freight the other day and noticed they had all sorts of those forceps. They're about 2 bucks or so if you need to add some more to your tool arsenal. FYI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.