DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to use a drill to mix up the thinset for a job of about 12 Sq ft?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
No.

Jaz

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any tips to ensure I get it mixed properly? Or should I just bite the bullet and go buy the mixing paddle and hope I don't burn out my 3/8" drill?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Get a little paint paddle or borrow the mix master from the kitchen--it only 12 feet---

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
I tiled a 3'x4' shower to the ceiling, mixing all the thinset (and grout) by hand.
If you're doing something intricate like a backsplash keep in mind you don't have to do it all in one batch.

I would set my full squares with one batch. Then take my time making sure all my cuts were accurate before mixing a second batch (I had more cut tiles than uncut).
It means doing a lot more clean-up, but you can take your time and not feel rushed if you do it in sections.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input Blondesense. My job is fairly straight forward. See photo in this thread.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f50/standard-mirror-height-bathroom-105719/

I will be tiling that wall from the top of the granite backsplash to the bottom of the light fixture with a black glass blend mosaic 5/8" tiles. It will be topped with a black Schluter trim.

http://www.mosaicmosaic.com/products/Black-Glass-Blend.html

The tiles come in 12X12 sheets and after my initial layout (I want to do a dry layout next) I don't think I'm going to have to cut any tile, just trim a few rows off the top sheets.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
Are you going to plan your mirror mount ahead of time and cut those tiles out before installation, or drill afterwards?

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good catch Blond. At this point I am undecided which direction I'll go and I am a teensy bit concerned about it.

I have already marked the wall where the mirror mounts are going to go. Then when I do my dry layout, I will be able to see where things line up. I can't move the mounts left/right due to centering, but do have some leeway up/down. I'll guess I'll have to see how much area the wall mounts cover and hope to hide most of the tile damage under the mount. If I am really lucky, the two screw holes per mount will fall exactly on a grout line.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a mixing paddle for $12. Figure I'll use that rather than the wife's mixmaster.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
Just to clarify, you dont need the whole mixer. Just one of the "prongs" and your cordless drill. Get one at a yard sale or Goodwill to ensure future "goodwill" with the wife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts