DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a driveway that has concrete paths for vehicles and stone in between with a sidewalk on the side. The concrete has shifted and cracked. What are my options for repairing or replacing it? I assume you can't just pour a new drive over top. Would the old concrete need to be removed? I've included a photo. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Nice looking house. Have you thought of a concrete paver drive?

Where are you located? Freeze/thaw, snow... To repair you will have to remove it all and probably more. Base may not be good enough.

Looks like downspout in pic 2 drains on the steps. Should be re-routed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I've just started thinking about what to do with it. Trying to see what my options are. I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada...so we have a fairly long winter Freeze/Thaw as you've suggested. The picture is deceiving, the down spout goes under the stairs and out to the front of the house.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,200 Posts
Ayuh,.... One option is Blacktop,....

It'd be a one day job to stop in, dig that out, box it out, backfill, grade, compact, then pave it with 2, 1/2" of what's called Type 6 'round here,....

Or 2, 1/2" of Type 3 dense base/ binder, 'n top that off with an 1" of Type 7 top,....

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,964 Posts
It's extremely rare for us to run into a situation outisde where leaving the existing concrete in place works. First, it's going to be too high at your garage entry, the street, and the 2 sets of steps. Second, it's unlikely that the existing concrete has adequate base under it.

In short, if you find someone who tells you they can simply pour over the top, be very aprehensive.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.