DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a home, it was built in 1989 and is slab on grade block home.
Whilst doing some re-grading around the home I noticed one corner of the house didn't appear to have a footing. I used my hand to dig the sand ( FL ) away at this one corner of the house. I could fit my whole hand inside this corner, there didnt appear to be anything under this corner except for maybe one small 6X1 inch concrete slab or something that I pulled out. My hand literally fits under the corner of this house.

I would appreciate your responses. Shall I dig deeper and fill with concerete perhaps?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went to my local county records office and got copies of the foundation plans. It did show on the plan that there is supposed be a footing on this corner.

I guess my question is, how can I check if there truly is a footing there?

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
With sand you can get a long metal rod and push it into the ground to see if there is a footing there.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Well I went to my local county records office and got copies of the foundation plans. It did show on the plan that there is supposed be a footing on this corner.

I guess my question is, how can I check if there truly is a footing there?
Do what you're doing, dig under the slab. Open a small section at a time, take some photos and close it up.
Let us know what you find.
Post the photos.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think I originally put some pictures up showing my fist / hand going under the corner of the walls. Maybe it got removed due to size limitation, I will try and re-post it later after editing it.

Before I dig deeper to locate this footing, shouldnt the footing be in line with the wall corner, meaning can it be tucked so deep in the corner hence why my hands and fingers fit under the corner of the wall? In my low knowledge of building construction I would have thought that the weight of the footing should be on the corner and not set too deep into the corner, hence perhaps if it exists thats why I couldnt locate it.

Oh, there is one thing that I didnt mention but might it be relevant. After digging out about 5 inches of dirt or so with a small shovel I noticed a white electrical cable laying deep in the corner of where this footing is or should be. I think it was layed there when the house was built to power the outside lights, perhaps an indication that the builders never put a footing there in the first place. Wouldnt the outside wiring come after construction?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Maybe it got removed due to size limitation
This would not have happened here, it simply would not have posted.
We would not remove it. The photo size limitation is the likely culprit here.
(must be 100k or smaller) Use a photo-resizing tool/program and try again.
Look over in "how to guides" section for links to various ways to do resizing if you do not have the tools.

DM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts