DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was told Bryant is a division of Carrier. I was also told they fully heat down to zero.

Here's the info on the Mitsubishi proposal for the heat and a/c combo.

Condenser - Supply and install one (1) Mitsubishi® high efficiency MXZ suitcase style side
discharge outdoor condensing unit.
The MXZ-3C30NAHZ outdoor unit uses Inverter Technology (Variable Frequency Drive) to
provide exceptional indoor cooling and heating comfort. By responding to indoor temperature
changes, this system reduces power consumption by varying the compressor speed for extra
energy savings. The system performs only to the levels needed to maintain a constant and
comfortable indoor environment. To be installed on a stand at the back of home.
Indoor Units - Supply and install two (2) Mitsubishi® high wall mount indoor evaporator units.
One MSZ-FH12NA to be installed in the living room, and one MSZ-FH18NA to be installed in
the 2nd floor back living room. Computerized control removes excess moisture without lowering
the temperature, providing healthier, more comfortable air conditioning with greater economy.
This is $11,645. I'm in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
That condenser you showed is $3,365 online. It is available but discontinued.
The 12K unit is $673 and the 18K is $846.
Those are the prices you can buy them for.
$4884 is the total for those three pieces. The line sets are about $100 each...you need two.
So your all in, if you purchase yourself could be around $5000 to $5500.
So my question to you:
is the additional $6000 worth not having to do it yourself and the additional guarantee that if something does go wrong it will be covered by a warranty?
To be honest, I don't know what I would do. I have some experience with HVAC and electrical work so I just may tackle it on my own.
It depends on your level of expertise and willingness to gamble on everything working correctly. And it depends on what all of that is worth to you.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I'm shopping for a H P. Is there a significant difference in the heat produced in the ambient operating range of 5°F and 0°F ?
I believe the Mr Cool outright shuts down at 5° or below.
To fully answer your question, we would need the specific make and model your looking at, as different units have different ratings. Some are specialized for high performance in cold environments (Samsung Max Heat, Mitsubishi Hyper Heat).

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I believe the Mr Cool outright shuts down at 5° or below.
To fully answer your question, we would need the specific make and model your looking at, as different units have different ratings. Some are specialized for high performance in cold environments (Samsung Max Heat, Mitsubishi Hyper Heat).
Being ratings are often vague and questionable, i was thinking of real experiences in performance at a 5° difference.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
You’d be very surprised at the ability of low temperature capable minis.
This is a quote from the Samsung Max Heat information. It is the performance you’ll get in real life.

The FJM Max Heat® shares all the features and benefits of the standard FJM system, along with the ability to provide 100% heating performance at 5°F (-15°C) with high heating output at -13°F (-25°C).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You’d be very surprised at the ability of low temperature capable minis.
This is a quote from the Samsung Max Heat information. It is the performance you’ll get in real life.

Not that I'd want to rely on it, but only my upstairs minis need to provide heat. I have heat downstairs with oil baseboards. In in PA near Philly. We don't get too many single digit days per year. Wondering if my downstairs heat would help on those few days? My burner would probably be running non-stop!

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Do a load calculation, and you’ll know exactly what size minis are needed.
When you hit outdoor design temperature your equipment should run consistently. No reason to oversize and have the equipment constantly cycle/short cycle it’s whole life.
I’m in Delaware, so I’m familiar with the local climate requirements. You could do minisplit heat pumps for the whole house, and use the oil as backup.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I just thought I would throw this in the mix.

HVACDirect.com sells a DIY mini-split that is warranted even if you install it yourself. I am not familiar with the brand but it is quite reasonably priced.
Take a look and see if that fits your level of expertise and budget.

·
Super Moderator
39,286 Posts
I'm shopping for a H P. Is there a significant difference in the heat produced in the ambient operating range of 5°F and 0°F ?

It stops running when the outdoor temp drops to 5°F. So it produces 0 heat.

There are other brands that can produce full heat at subzero temps.

But they do cost more.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I just thought I would throw this in the mix.

HVACDirect.com sells a DIY mini-split that is warranted even if you install it yourself. I am not familiar with the brand but it is quite reasonably priced.
Take a look and see if that fits your level of expertise and budget.
Seems to be very little technical literature on those units.
And the precharged linesets are not great. I’ve had a huge problem with them leaking, on both refrigeration and comfort cooling.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Seems to be very little technical literature on those units.
On a homeowner DIY project....why should there be?
The DIY guy is going to install it and hope for the best. He's not a tech or for that matter doesn't need any HVAC experience. If he runs into trouble he can call a pro. DIY is all about the willingness to get dirty and save money in the process.
I'm sure the pro's are against most of these types of installations.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
On a homeowner DIY project....why should there be?
The DIY guy is going to install it and hope for the best. He's not a tech or for that matter doesn't need any HVAC experience. If he runs into trouble he can call a pro. DIY is all about the willingness to get dirty and save money in the process.
I'm sure the pro's are against most of these types of installations.
I’m not against these units per say, and don’t view it as money out of my pocket. This is a DIY site and I’m overrun with work as it is. If someone wants to put in their own mini, have at it.
But at least post capacity charts or general heating/cooling performance information. I can’t even tell how well this unit heats or how low of an outdoor temperature it’ll run at.
I have had to work on a few and the information and support is deplorable. Almost like if it breaks throw it away and buy a new one.
Based on the history I’ve had with no name minis I’d not use one as a primary heating source.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Bryant Heat Pump with 3 minis.
Gree or Media makes the mini ductless systems for United Technologies, IIRC. I can’t recall which one exactly.
United Technologies owns the Carrier brand, along with Bryant, Payne and a few other hvac companies.
But a Bryant mini isn’t made by Carrier, or United Technologies at all.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts